brooder light (when to have on?)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gadus, Jun 10, 2016.

1. gadus

gadus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2015
    Maine
    We're approaching the 6-7 week mark with our 18 chicks. Still in brooder, coop nearly done. What are people doing for light at this stage? What lighting to use (and when) when we transition to coop?

We've already replaced the heat lamp with a 75-watt fluorescent bulb but am not sure about day and night usage. Please advise.

thanks

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    When I used a light bulb (40 watts), kept it on 24/7, raised in a plastic bin in the house until they were about 4 wks. Then I moved them outside to my "brooder" with light 24/7 until they were mostly feathered. I live in Hilo, HI and the temps aren't "severe" as in the Mainland. I've read depending on the age of the chicks, start at 95 lowering the temps as they get older. However, I'll be getting a new batch of chicks, trying MHP (read on BYC)....It's mimics a hen & seems alot prefer it.

This is my outside brooder/coop and I have a mobile run that they spend their afternoons in. This past January DH completed my Run/Coop for the "big" girls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    By the time they are 6-7 weeks I have had the light off of them for about a week or two. By the time they are near or fulling feathered they no longer need the light. Mine are usually in the coop house for introduction to the rest of the flock. I have a chicken coop from tsc built in the stall so the chicks can run around and still get used to the flock for about a month or two before turning them all out together.

4. gadus

Jul 28, 2015
    Maine
    It's probably not earth-shattering but with the light off -something I've only tried recently- my birds stop eating. Throw the switch and whammo! they go berserk, constantly eating, flying whatever.

I don't want to starve them by leaving the light off but at the same time, I don't want to leave the light on constantly and create a false "reality" for them prior to putting them into the coop.

I have read a good deal about the importance of 14 hours of light (maybe that was plants) but what should be my light concerns prior to their reaching laying stage?

Tanks!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Your chicks are ready for the coop.
    My chicks are four weeks old and have been off heat for 5 days. They have lived in the coop/run since 5 days old.

Our over night temps are are low, 12 degrees Celsius. Every morning I open the pop door and the little poopers come running out for another fun filled day of being a chicken.
    Tougher than most people think..? I use no light and herd them all into the coop just before dark.

6. gadus

Jul 28, 2015
    Maine
    The only reason my chickens are not in the coop is that I have not finished the coop-this week hopefully. However they are more than fine in their 16 ft2 brooder-and probably could be for some time; I've built a little platform for them to roost on and may elevate the roof a bit with some simple alterations.

Of course you are right that they are ready and should be moved and from now on, I'm going to eliminate the light at night; however, I'm inclined to keep it on during the day as it's quite dim where they are situated in the house-and I figure it can't hurt and cost me virtually nothing.

Are you folks running a light for any amount of time in your coops? I'm wondering particularly if this is something you do when the angle of the sun starts to seriously decline. Or are you content to let them lay what they'll lay and not force the issue?

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

No, I dont run a light I have a window in my coop..If its too dark run a 60 watt bulb for light.
    If no window in yours? Put one in..Hens love day light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by