Brooder location

I've brooded in a spare bathroom and I've brooded outside. Never again inside... the dander just a few chicks can put out over 5 or 6 weeks is amazing. The chicks were brooded in a bathtub, I was scrubbing oily filth off the tub, up the tile and the wall some 6', all the way across the floor to the sink and sink cabinet that sat facing the tub.
Good to know, thanks for the info

We are getting a new batch next week. 3 years ago we got our first. We did the cardboard box brooder in the family room. Very dusty. As they got older didn't smell all that great.

This year we have the brooder set up in the covered run. Will use MHP. Thr chicks will see the big girls. Hopeful integrate early and easily.

Its your personal choice...
Im like a kid on Christmas morning with new baby chicks. Like i said before the first week i keep them in my kitchen on the floor in a large cardboard box. After that first week they tend to get noisier and smellier and will be moved elswhere. Also any pasty butt and general weakness will be addresssed and resolved after the first week.
I build alot of great expieriences and memories with my daughter as she was growing up with the chicks in the kitchen. She always had names for them during this time.
One concern would be cats or dogs you may have in the house.
6 chicks is a small group and should not create much dust or noise at first.
Is your coop in place?
I would love to see pictures when they arrive.
Good luck!

We are getting a new batch next week. 3 years ago we got our first. We did the cardboard box brooder in the family room. Very dusty. As they got older didn't smell all that great.

This year we have the brooder set up in the covered run. Will use MHP. Thr chicks will see the big girls. Hopeful integrate early and easily.
I gotcha
Thanks for the info

Its your personal choice...
Im like a kid on Christmas morning with new baby chicks. Like i said before the first week i keep them in my kitchen on the floor in a large cardboard box. After that first week they tend to get noisier and smellier and will be moved elswhere. Also any pasty butt and general weakness will be addresssed and resolved after the first week.
I build alot of great expieriences and memories with my daughter as she was growing up with the chicks in the kitchen. She always had names for them during this time.
One concern would be cats or dogs you may have in the house.
6 chicks is a small group and should not create much dust or noise at first.
Is your coop in place?
I would love to see pictures when they arrive.
Good luck!
Coop will be in place this weekend
We don’t have any other pets right now
Have to read up on pasty butt
Will def send you pics
They’re going in a larger Rubbermaid tub
So I’m a little nervous with the heatlamp
So I may just use a brooder heater I bought and supply a night light
What do you think

Back
Top Bottom