Brooder outside or bring them inside?

Counting chickens

Songster
6 Years
Jan 2, 2018
South of Waco...
2 day old chicks, an Unexpected Journey.
I was not planning on getting chicks yet, but here we are. They are in a 2'x6' brooder with a premier 1 heater plate. It is going to get down into the 30's the next couple of nights, but 66 degrees this afternoon as the wind shifted from the south. My concern is, the brooder is on an open balcony, so drafty now that the wind is out of the south. Will the heat plate be enough?

I have a wooden panel that covers about 1/3. I adjusted it when I saw that they were all on the other end from the heater, turns out it was because they had more of a wind block. I moved the heater and covered area to the other end, and they are now all under the heater plate, with forays out for food and water. Just wondering if it's enough when the temps drop tonight?

personally, I would bring them in. That being said, I’m over in Europe with outside temps about -9C(16 F) and I have my week-olds, as well as 2 day-olds in the house until the cold snap passes. I have an attached garage that’s currently 8C(46F) and I won’t even move them there yet, because I’m afraid they will be stressed, stunted, and have lowered immune systems at this tender age. Plus, the possibility of a power outage means no heating plate and dead chicks. I never fully trust the power grid in winter 🥶

I will say, they were not happy to be disturbed. Wind is gone now, about 45-50 degrees.
When I pulled the lid and the heater plate off, everyone was warm and toasty...
Better to be safe than sorry.
50 degrees is still cold to newborns that get away from the plate and not know how to find their way back to it. If they were a week or two old I wouldn't be so concerned about it but.....

Back
Top Bottom