Brooder problems.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AshleyLisa93, Jul 23, 2014.

1. AshleyLisa93

AshleyLisa93 Hatching

Jul 23, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    I live in Illinois it's July right now of course. It's still warm out. Should I keep the heat lamp going at night since it is possible for it to get to 50's
    During the Day it's hot and humid so I didn't plan on having the heat lamp on.

I need some help here.please

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! How old are the chicks? With young chicks that need the temp at 90-95* you may have to keep it on even during the day. You'll really want to keep the heat lamp on at night with young chicks if it is getting that cold... just be sure the brooder is big enough where they can get away from the heat / have cooler spots. Here is a nice article form the Learning Center on raising chicks for the first 60 days and the temps they need etc https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Kelsie gave you good advice, so I will just say Welcome to BYC.

4. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

[​IMG] from Washington! BYC is the best fowl website you can find.[​IMG] I hope you feel glad you signed up! In our flock we have great people and it is always great to have a new member:) In our flock, we have no pecking order!

[​IMG]

By the way, not saying that you will do anything bad, but no fowl play[​IMG]

That is great info. I might also advise putting this under here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Definitely follow the links that have been provided to raise your new chicks.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy your babies!

6. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by