Brooder Question!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by texas_is_home, May 8, 2009.

1. texas_is_home

texas_is_home Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Boerne, Texas
    Ok, so I live in South Texas and it's anywhere from 90-100 degrees here almost every day. I've got my chicks in a kennel, i keep the kennel in the garage at night and during the day I move it into the laundry room. I've attached a thermometer to their kennel and I am constantly monitoring it. The temperature is always between 90-100 degrees. They chicks are not panting nor are they huddled up as if they were cold. Is there still any reason I should set up a light for them? Is the only reason for the brooder heat?

2. DODALDO

DODALDO Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    EASTERN COLROADO
    How old are you chicks? I live in Co and had to use a light when my chicks we little. Yes the light is for heat. And if it is 90-100 that's plunty warm there are a lot of info on here on how you remove the heat as the chicks get older but don't sound like you have that problem, hope this helps good luck.

3. texas_is_home

texas_is_home Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Boerne, Texas
    :lol:Great! That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm not exactly sure how old they are. They can't be anymore than 4 weeks old. They've started getting feathers and are growing at a tremendous rate! They are very healthy and playful, i just wanted to make sure i wasn't making a bad choice on not supplying a light for 'em.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My chicks were about 4 weeks old this time last year. I stopped using the lamp during the day and only turned it on when it started cooling off in the evenings. By five and a half weeks, they were off the light completely. Living iin the South has its advantages.

5. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    No need for a heat lamp as long as the nights don't get to cold. Have fun with them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by