Brooder Question?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thatduckguyy, Aug 3, 2011.

1. thatduckguyy

thatduckguyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    For my brooder do I have to use pine shavings? Or can I just use paper towel, it would probably be easier to clean using paper towel right?

2. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I first tried paper towels......toooooooo messy, waaaaaay to soon![​IMG] Pine shavings are much cleaner and require a lot less changing.[​IMG]

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Pine shavings are cleaner and easier to clean. I use pine in the coop too, I love it!

4. ChickenCrazed

ChickenCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    I actually buy incontinence pads from Sams club that are 23 x 36 and disposable...Very easy to roll it all up and pop in a clean one!

5. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I use pine pellets. Love them.

6. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:How would I clean it though? I mean paper towel you just take it out and toss it.

7. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:I dont get it with paper towel you just take it out and toss it. how is pine shavings easier?

8. Young Heritage

Young Heritage Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2010
    Monterey TN
    I use pine shavings and a little DE mixed in. It keeps everything dry so cleanup is no big deal and it's also good for them. Scoop it out and replace.

9. claudicles

claudicles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Pine shavings are cleaner because the poop gets mixed in with them, rather than sitting on top like with paper towel. The shavings dry the poop out nicely so the chicks stay nice and clean.

10. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    You can change litter half a brooder at a time. Just scoop it up with a dustpan a bit past the halfway mark (the chicks will crowd to the other side), put fresh in on that side, and then repeat with the other side. Super easy! And yes, much less gross to use litter than something that the poop sits on top of like newspaper or paper towels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by