Brooder Questions

LongHunter ,
you're going to cook those chicks with the 250 .go ahead and put in a 100-watt incandescent instead. That brooder is too small to use a 250 red On It .
Temp should be 90 degrees ,no hotter.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
We have the heat lamp suspended from the ceiling so that I can adjust it to keep the temp steady. Right now it's 90 degrees at the floor in the middle of the brooder. I keep an eye on it every couple of hours. I have moved the brooder over so that the heat lamp now hangs over one end. Their feed and water are at the end away from the heat lamp where it's cooler. Thanks for all the tips everyone. Keep them coming, because we're still learning everyday.
1f601.png

Is the coop done? You could just keep them inside until you're satisfied they're thriving and then put them in their home with the lamp at one end. And I'd still dial it back so it doesn't overheat them. 100w should be plenty.

Infrared heats objects, not air, so the temperature you're measuring is the heat radiating off of the plastic, bedding, etc. 90 may well be too much, especially in such a small space. Go by the chicks' behavior. If they aren't seeking out the light to sleep under, it's too hot in there. And I can promise that your heat lamp is way too much for a human home. That's what people use in a barn when it's literally freezing cold outside.

I had the same brooder and it didn't last long! I'm sure you're out of it by now. We graduated to a 4x4 wood brooder that we made taller by adding cardboard at about 2 was old but now our chicks are 3 1/2 weeks old and we just moved them to the coop with the heat lamp. They were jumping and running and trying to fly in the small box so they seem happy now so far! It will be much cooler tonight so I will be checking on them as early as possible to make sure they did ok overnight for their first night outside!

How are your chicks doing?

Back
Top Bottom