Brooder Questions

Longhunter44

Hatching
Apr 17, 2017
Texas
Hi all, we are new chicken momma and daddy. We got 10x 1 day old chicks. I built a brooder from a plastic tote. It measures 36" long, 30" tall and 2" wide. Is this big enough for the 10 chicks? They are Gold Sex Links. Here's a pic of the brooder. Any pointers would be great.
Thanks.

Welcome! Your brooder should work for a week, maybe two, at most. It's small, and will be difficult to maintain a temp. gradient, as in warmer at one end and cooler at the other end, needed for your chicks. You could add another, attached to the side or the end, with a porthole, or just build bigger. Also, a hardware cloth cover to keep chicks in and everyone else out! Better yet, brood in your coop if possible. Send pictures! Mary

Hi Mary. Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to upload a pic, but it is giving me some trouble. Anyway, I did cut the top out of the tote and covered it with hardware wire to keep everything out. I have a 250 watt heat lamp hanging above the brooder so that i can adjust it up or down for temp. My temp is steady at 95 degrees.
John

That brooder will be too warm in a very short time, and do have the heat lamp at one end, so it's cooler further away. I start with the thermometer to see how any new brooder is working, and then watch the chicks to evaluate their comfort level after that. Mary

My lamp has a clamp, so I'll clamp it to one end on the board that's holding down the hardware cloth. Tomorrow I'll start on their interim brooder that will be about 4'x5' and 3' tall. The top will be covered with hardware cloth and hinged.

We're new to chicks too and now have 28 -13day old chicks. We moved them a few days ago out of the plastic tote that got way too small. They are starting to run jump and fly already so get ready with a larger taller brooder very soon! We used plywood and stuff but now have to raise the height using cardboard. Probably 4 feet high. People have said a square foot in floor space per bird while they're under heat is enough but watch the height as they'll be soon very active.
Ps they LOVE chick feed soaked in warm water for a treat! Who knew?!
Good luck! It's fun but messier than I expected and they grow sooooo fast

Back
Top Bottom