Chick Brooder question.

liviu

Hatching
Jan 23, 2024
Hi all,

My wife and I are planning on raising chicks for the first time. We intend to get 6, day-old chicks (i.e., Orpington; Barred Rock; & Sussex) at some point in April. We've identified the coop/run that we'll have built for them when they're ready to go outside, but we're struggling with the brooder. Can any of you provide recommendations on what kind of brooder to get? Should we build one ourselves or should we purchase one (e.g., https://hatchingtime.com/products/c...eight-15-inches?_pos=2&_fid=57228733b&_ss=c)? We don't have a lot of room in the house, but we would like a brooder that can ideally accommodate the chicks until they're ready to go outside, without having to transfer them into a bigger pen first. We're also interested in a brooder that can keep things relatively clean given that it would likely go in our guest bedroom. Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Liviu

I think my first was a large cardboard box. it expanded into 6 connected boxes within a month. Then they went to the outside coop.

Easy and toss away when done.

depending on how long you keep them indoors you can keep expanding.

cut small holes/windows in the sides or chicken wire on top.

Given that you are only brooding 6 chicks, I recommend something like a 100 gallon Rubbermaid Structural Foam Stock Tank. I have used one with my last two smaller broods and it worked great... easy to clean up afterward. By the way, I used a brooder plate as well.

Is your coop close enough to run electricity to? If yes, consider skipping the brooder entirely and raising them in the coop instead.

My first brooder was a bathtub, if you have an extra guest bathroom that's another option if you don't feel comfortable putting them outdoors immediately.

We brooded our first 6 in a large cooler (removed the lid completely). We did have to cover it with a net by week 3 because they were able to fly out, but we moved them outdoors shortly after that.

Keep in mind- with the cardboard box suggestions I would be cautious if you plan to use a regular heat lamp. Use a brooder plate instead.

I brood in the house almost every year, in the upstairs hallway, and use a modified large cardboard box (from a chest freezer). I use a DIY heat plate, not a heat lamp. I use sand for bedding and scoop it with a reptile poop scoop (the kitty litter scoops' holes are too big and the chick poops fall though). I've found that to be the best and most practical setup. No fire hazard because there's no lamp, no need to keep throwing out large amounts of soiled bedding because the sand is scooped and remains in place. So cleanup is quick and easy.

Here's my brooder: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/diy-chicken-tv-brooder-v2-0.76524/

If you want your chicks well socialized and friendly, I would highly recommend that whatever you get or build, don't have it open on top. Have the door on the front instead, and have the sides of the brooder be some kind of material the chicks can see through - so like wire netting or even bird netting, not solid plastic like a tote/bin or solid wood. And put the brooder high up on something, not on the floor. This is because chicks (and grown chickens) have an innate fear of death from above. Birds of prey come at them from overhead, so chicks freak out if you reach down to grab them from above. If the walls are solid and they don't see you coming, and can't see you well, the shock is even worse - they have no warning and suddenly - death from above! If they can see out, and are up near your level, they'll get more accustomed to you and the other humans moving around, and if you reach across to them, and not down, they won't scare as easily. And you won't hurt your back bending over! The chicks will be calmer and better socialized, and with that, more pleasant to be around and to handle. If you want them friendly, handle them every day, from the start, and as often as you can.

P.S. Put an air filter next to the brooder. Chicks produce a lot of dust (dander) as they grow and replace the baby fluff with new feathers. Dust is another reason why sand is better than shavings, too, for bedding - shavings produce a lot of dust, which is lightweight and flies around and settles on everything. Sand (I use play sand from Home Depot) has heavier particles and doesn't produce as much fine dust. I love sand! Been using it for years and wouldn't use anything else.

Back
Top Bottom