First time brooder

ChickenB12

Chirping
Jan 10, 2024
Bennett CO
Hulloooo first time chicken owner, I’ve had four 6 mo old pullets for a month and figured why not get some chicks.

I’ve done a ton of research trying to figure out my brooder set up but of course I’m questioning myself because that’s what we do right?

I’d love some feedback on my set up. I have 10 chicks, no idea what breeds they are, I got them from Hoovers.

The people who owned our property before us built a massive coop system off a tuff shed that I’m now using as my chicken supply storage and brooder house. It’s fully insulated. And the actual brooder I’m using is one they left and I refurbished with new legs and a lid
IMG_2807.jpeg

Sensitive topic about the heat lamp I know the risks, and trust me I have plenty of anxiety about it. Please be kind.

Inside my brooder is about an inch of pine shavings, a chick feeder/waterer, and a rentacoop brooder plate.
IMG_2805.jpeg

My heat lamp is situated over the middle of the brooder, the feeder is on the side near the screen, and my waterer is at the opposite end of the brooder.
IMG_2806.jpeg

I’m open to any feedback or concerns or things I need to change. I am in the process of making some corner pieces out of 2x4s so they are more of a 45 instead of a 90

Thanks and much appreciated

Really nice!! I'd put the water up on a wood block (I use a 2x6,) and increase it as they get older, just helpful to prevent water from getting shavings in it. Baby chicks love "mash," so I offer same feeder as you have with dry but also a bowl of wet chick feed (mash.) I'd move the heat lamp to one side even though they can get a cool zone on either side of it now, it makes for even cooler option to put it on one side. But again, that's a sweet set up! ENJOY.

Really nice!! I'd put the water up on a wood block (I use a 2x6,) and increase it as they get older, just helpful to prevent water from getting shavings in it. Baby chicks love "mash," so I offer same feeder as you have with dry but also a bowl of wet chick feed (mash.) I'd move the heat lamp to one side even though they can get a cool zone on either side of it now, it makes for even cooler option to put it on one side. But again, that's a sweet set up! ENJOY.
Thank you so much! I brought a wood block out and set it under the water, but then I took them out of the box, and they were SO small; I took it out, but I will go put it back. I know they have stretch necks, lol

Regarding the heat lamp, would you have the brooder plate on one end and the heat lamp on the other? I swear I saw somewhere that the heat lamp shouldn't be over the water, but again, that's easy to move & rearrange. The brooder plate just has to stay on that far side because its closest to the plug.

Good setup I'd say, should be bigger IMO. If you intend on keeping the chicks in there until 6weeks old, it won't be enough room those last couple weeks. I had the exact same items you do with similar size brooder and figured out quick they needed more space. Change out your shavings every 2 weeks or else it will get rank and potentially endanger your birds with sickness/disease. You can stack new bedding/flakes on top of old/soiled flakes and achieve the same thing, but you take away space by adding more shavings. As soon as you open that lid they are gonna try to jump out, and depending on the breed, they may not be able to stand up fully due to the height restraint.
If you do get somewhere with more space for them, add a small perch as chickens naturally roost off the ground. I found this makes them more comfortable.
The heat plate works great, but as they get older it becomes more of a platform to jump onto and off of so keep that in mind. I ended up removing 2 legs from one end and made a lean-to heat plate, but temps here in the bayou were never any threat to the birds for me.

Thank you so much! I brought a wood block out and set it under the water, but then I took them out of the box, and they were SO small; I took it out, but I will go put it back. I know they have stretch necks, lol

Regarding the heat lamp, would you have the brooder plate on one end and the heat lamp on the other? I swear I saw somewhere that the heat lamp shouldn't be over the water, but again, that's easy to move & rearrange. The brooder plate just has to stay on that far side because its closest to the plug.
Awe so cute at that age!! 😍 You have a good point, they're so small at first, I use a piece of tile for a day or so, then the wood block. It's like you said, lamps vs. plates and MHP can be a "heated subject," haha. You do you, there is nothing wrong with using both as long as temps are all good and they really do have a cool zone. Sort of strive for as wide a range as you can. Meaning, it's *80 under and around the plate on one end and then as cold as possible on the other end. I brood out in my coop where it can be as cool as *30 in farthest point of brooder. Multiple thermometers is a good idea. I've used meat thermometers to see what the under plate/MHP temp is. You're doing great!

Good setup I'd say, should be bigger IMO. If you intend on keeping the chicks in there until 6weeks old, it won't be enough room those last couple weeks. I had the exact same items you do with similar size brooder and figured out quick they needed more space. Change out your shavings every 2 weeks or else it will get rank and potentially endanger your birds with sickness/disease. You can stack new bedding/flakes on top of old/soiled flakes and achieve the same thing, but you take away space by adding more shavings. As soon as you open that lid they are gonna try to jump out, and depending on the breed, they may not be able to stand up fully due to the height restraint.
If you do get somewhere with more space for them, add a small perch as chickens naturally roost off the ground. I found this makes them more comfortable.
The heat plate works great, but as they get older it becomes more of a platform to jump onto and off of so keep that in mind. I ended up removing 2 legs from one end and made a lean-to heat plate, but temps here in the bayou were never any threat to the birds for me.
So my plan is to use this one for a few weeks and build a larger baby coop inside my run that can easily be dismantled and removed once they all get used to each other and keep it for future introductions.

The box they are in now is about 11-10 inches and I plan on cleaning it fully out. I use the deep litter method in my adult coop.

Yes! I have seen that they use it as a trampoline and I have kept that in mind. I’ve thought about buying the hat that goes on top of it and plan to raise it up as they grow.

Thank you so much for the tips! Good idea on removing the legs!! Thank you

What is the temperature inside the shed without the heat lamp?

Because of the way it's set up right now, there is nowhere at all for the chicks to get away from heat. If you must use a heat lamp due to ambient temperatures, I'd remove the plate and place the heat lamp over one side of the brooding box. The majority of the space inside the brooder should be 10F or more cooler than the spot right under the heat lamp. Water and food should be away from the heat.

Back
Top Bottom