1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder Size

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SheriM, Jan 28, 2009.

1. SheriM

SheriM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    I know day-old chicks don't need a lot of space, but if they have to stay in the brooder till they're fully feathered, they're going to be a lot bigger before they come out of there, so how much space will they need by the time they're fully feathered? I'm talking about the larger breeds here, like Orpingtons.

2. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    The brooder we set up was a 4' x 5' oval (I thought it was 3 x 5, but measured it today). The round ends were so nobody got smashed into a corner. We were a little slow in getting the chicks into the new coop, so they spent 8 weeks in there. Pretty tight at the end, but everybody survived the ordeal. Wouldn't have wanted it any smaller though.[​IMG]

3. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i give mine about 1 1/2 ft per chick, and put them out when there are 8 to 10 weeks old. i have RIR's

4. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I have 4 right now in a used washer box cut so it layers down. They are ready to go outside now but with 20 degrees predicted this weekend I am waiting for alittle warmer weather If it comes down to it the next box with be a refrigerator box lol Give me a big box and I can make a nice brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by