1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder size

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by High Mountain Chic, Feb 18, 2009.

1. High Mountain Chic

High Mountain Chic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Leadville Colorado
    Hi I'm new to this form and new to chickens in general! I love this website and the forums have been a great source of information. I do have a couple of questions that I hoped someone could help me with. I live in Leadville Colorado (10,200 ft) and am setting myself up to get a couple of chics from Colorado Springs. I have a large yard and plenty of room for chics and a coop outside but my house is only about 500 square feet and I share that with 2 dogs, 2 cats and a very generous husband. My chics will of course be inside for several months while they feather out. Providing a large enough brooder while they are small is not a problem, but i worry about having enough space when they are large but not big enough to go outside. So how much room do i need per chic at that stage? And would I be better off to order like 3 chics now ( I want 6 total) and then 3 after the original 3 are in the coop? Any help would be great Thanks!

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

You are better off to get them all at once. Grown birds need about 4 sq. ft. each so I would say when they are juvies that they will need about 2.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by