Brooder temperature?

Stanui

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Our baby Mallards just arrived this morning. From what I understand, their brooder needs to be at 90 degrees.

I can't seem to get ours above 80 degrees today. But, the ducklings seem to be doing ok. They are running around the brooder and eating and drinking.

Do you think they are ok? From what I've read they will bunch up together if they are cold and not eat.

Should I move them to a heated room, or do you think they'll be ok where they are at?

I have them in a tall rubbermaid bin with a heat lamp. The bin is in our garage. I have the garage all closed up to avoid any drafts.

If they are running around they are fine. When they are cold they will huddle together under the heat lamp. If they get hot they will get as far away as they can from the heat lamp. Sounds to me like they are fine. I dont have a thermometer in my brooder, I just go by how the chicks are acting.

I have 6,3 week olds mallard right now in my brooder..I have a 250w red bulb in the back of the brooder so if they are warm they lay in the front if they want heat they go to the back...I dont have a thermometer in my brooder...

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies. I figured they were ok, but I just wanted to double check!

Back
Top Bottom