Brooder temperature

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Kwartel, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Kwartel

Kwartel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    What is the normal brooder temperature for just hatched Coturnix quail? I have read that 95 degrees is ideal, but am curious as to how true that is and when and by how much to lower the temperature as they grow.

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    As A General Rule--- Stress General Here, Start At 95 And Decrease Slowly By Up To 5 Degrees A Week... By Slowly Drop It 1 Or 2 Degrees And Wait A Couple Of Days, Then Another Slight Drop And Wait A Couple Days.... Etc. But Do Not Get Caught Up On Thermometer Readings As Much As Chick Behavior--- If They Huddle They Are Cold And Not Tolerating Your Brooder Temp= Increase It Until They Do Not Huddle--- Personally I Never Use Brooder Thermometers As All My Brooders That Need Heat Usually Have Quite A Few Lil Fuzzy Thermometers Runnin Around In Them Making Noise And Wasting Food [​IMG] Basically I Use The Chick's Behavior As A Guide ---- Up Zippin Around And Terrorizing Your Neighbors? Well Looks Like We Can Turn That 1 Down A Tad.... Why's Everybody In A Pile In Here?! Comon' Guys You're Squishing The 3 On The Bottom. - Better Bump The Heat Up On This 1... Beleive Me If You Have 3 Or More Chicks Hatch=== There's The Most Accurate Thermometer And Gauge You Can Ever Find.(WITH NO BATTERIES REQUIRED [​IMG] )

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by