Brooder temps and advice

Inkheart

Songster
9 Years
Aug 15, 2010
Columbus Ohio
I have chicks that are a week old - i am raising them inside and have had them under a 250W redbulb. They are doing well and are all over the brooder so i am thinking they are pleased with the temps. At one point does everyone change the temp and switch to less wattage bulbs? I had heard minus 5 degrees each week till they are ready to go outside?
Just like to hear peoples usual routines on this topic

Thanks!

Yes, down 5 degrees a week, at least. You can raise the heat lamp or change wattage or bulbs, whatever.

Ok thanks - no that i am going to - but i keep thinking these hens lay earlier in the spring and the day or two after they hatch she has them out in the yard when is 60-65 degrees . just made me curious if i really needed to keep them so warm - first incubated hatch for me - Thanks!

Thats a good question. I have never changed there temp, just left them at the same temp. I move them from the house to the shop and then outside. But I have always bough my chicks.......this year i am hatching my own, so i will try changing the temp each week.

Yes, I used an actually smaller bulb. I also had my lamp affixed to a pole so I could raise or lower it to get the temp correct. I also notice that after the first week they liked the temp much cooler than the 5 degrees less a week, about 80 and then when they were good at 75 I put them outside in the brooder coop. But I live in Florida and it was in the 70's at night and 80's in the day.

Caroline

Quote:
I have raised them in a brooder and had broodies raise them, some in colder weather. I have seen chicks outdoors in 40 degree weather, watched the mama squat and spread for them to get under her for warmth, and watched them ignore her and continue running around. I never could keep a brooder as warm as is recommended, as they would move away from the heat source. Around the third week I believe is when I gave up and removed the heat, but they were in the house (last time I ever do that.) My broodies have always gathered them under her at night, though, and evidently it is close to 100F under there.

So I agree, they are often hardier than we think. I think without a mama it is probably safer to keep them pretty warm, though. My first answer was just based on what is recommended on here. Guess I should have kept typing!

Oh i totally am keeping them warm with the bulbs jsut thought about it over the weekend as several times a day i check the the thermometer i n the brooder to make sure all is well - i thought you dont see the hen doing this! thank you for your input!

I keep mine inside in unheated room (in the 50s) and used 125W to keep them in the low-to-mid 90s. The upper 90s were dangerously too hot for mine. Have tried to raise lamp gradually. Now in the 80s starting week 3. They are away from the light much more and feathering rapidly. If I raise it too much, they stand up to try to be nearer the light. I keep them peeping little and cheerily.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom