When is it safe for them to be outside in North Florida winter conditions?

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
I'll begin by saying this is the last time I ever brood chicks in the fall/winter. Too much stress over the cold...

My pullets will be 6 weeks on Monday. They look almost fully feathered. I still have them in my garage in a large hardware cloth brooder/cage. They have access to the brooder plate though at this point only one or two really fit under there at a time. I have the heat lamp but ONLY turn it on when the temps outside are getting in the low 40s and below. And even then I have it set very high above them to keep the ambient temp above 55, even though I don't think it gets below 60 with it on.

I haven't taken them outside at all yet. When I was ready to do it the day temps dropped, then we had a bunch of rains, and frankly it just got away from me. I have a see/don't touch setup ready in the main run, but Im just dragging my feet because the idea of catching them every evening to bring them back in the garage is daunting. They are extremely skittish and hard to catch.

I need to get a routine to take them out in the mornings and back Inside in the evenings till eventually they are big enough to head into the coop with the big girls at night. As mentioned, it's North Florida, but we still get plenty of freezing overnights in the high 20's/low 30s. Daytime warms up quite a bit so that's not a concern. Mornings can be quite cold, 40s most of the time.

Can someone with experience give me a good plan? My big girls outside are just about 7 months, so not full hens yet. Not sure how they will acclimate but I need to get the ball rolling soon. Do I need to monitor the temps with 6weeks + pullets? When are they old enough to be in the coop overnight when temps drop to freezing?

If you have been gradually acclimatizing the chicks to cooler temps, they could be living in the coop right now with no heat when it's above freezing and just a little supplemental heat if it's below freezing.

During the day, no heat is required after they have acclimatized to outdoor temps because they will be consuming calories that will fuel their furnaces.

If you haven't been acclimatizing them, then begin now.

Thanks for the advice. It’s very windy today but 65 degrees so I just brought them out for their first field trip. The big girls are very curious but seem to be calm about the new arrivals. The littles are loving pecking away at the ground. I tossed some chick grit in there too since it’s all sand.

We have some chicks that are 6-7 weeks, in north Gainesville area, and are planning on getting them integrated this weekend. Weather is supposed to be decent during the day, so will shut them in the big coop during the day, and open it up in the late afternoon when the big girls start to head to the roost.
Mornings are the big issue, as they, the older hens, are awake and wanting breakfast before we get the other animals taken care of at daybreak, so they can get a bit cranky and take it out on the lower end of the pecking order.
Monitoring them around the older hens is the hardest part, bunch of fast little feathery squeakers , and we are going to put a raised lamp in the coop that they can get under for a little warmth if they feel they need it at night. Will also be adding a lower roosting bar until they get big enough to get to the 41/2’ high ones that the big girls are using.

We have some chicks that are 6-7 weeks, in north Gainesville area, and are planning on getting them integrated this weekend. Weather is supposed to be decent during the day, so will shut them in the big coop during the day, and open it up in the late afternoon when the big girls start to head to the roost.
Mornings are the big issue, as they, the older hens, are awake and wanting breakfast before we get the other animals taken care of at daybreak, so they can get a bit cranky and take it out on the lower end of the pecking order.
Monitoring them around the older hens is the hardest part, bunch of fast little feathery squeakers , and we are going to put a raised lamp in the coop that they can get under for a little warmth if they feel they need it at night. Will also be adding a lower roosting bar until they get big enough to get to the 41/2’ high ones that the big girls are using.
The forecast is fine. The integration is the more important part.

I'll begin by saying this is the last time I ever brood chicks in the fall/winter. Too much stress over the cold...

My pullets will be 6 weeks on Monday. They look almost fully feathered. I still have them in my garage in a large hardware cloth brooder/cage. They have access to the brooder plate though at this point only one or two really fit under there at a time. I have the heat lamp but ONLY turn it on when the temps outside are getting in the low 40s and below. And even then I have it set very high above them to keep the ambient temp above 55, even though I don't think it gets below 60 with it on.

I haven't taken them outside at all yet. When I was ready to do it the day temps dropped, then we had a bunch of rains, and frankly it just got away from me. I have a see/don't touch setup ready in the main run, but Im just dragging my feet because the idea of catching them every evening to bring them back in the garage is daunting. They are extremely skittish and hard to catch.

I need to get a routine to take them out in the mornings and back Inside in the evenings till eventually they are big enough to head into the coop with the big girls at night. As mentioned, it's North Florida, but we still get plenty of freezing overnights in the high 20's/low 30s. Daytime warms up quite a bit so that's not a concern. Mornings can be quite cold, 40s most of the time.

Can someone with experience give me a good plan? My big girls outside are just about 7 months, so not full hens yet. Not sure how they will acclimate but I need to get the ball rolling soon. Do I need to monitor the temps with 6weeks + pullets? When are they old enough to be in the coop overnight when temps drop to freezing?
How is your integration going?
Ours are getting along pretty well, a few bullies, but nothing major.
66A7BF12-4494-4E5D-84E8-A2267BB91CFE.jpeg

How is your integration going?
Ours are getting along pretty well, a few bullies, but nothing major.
View attachment 3711274
Mine are still in the “see/don’t touch” pen during the day and back in the garage at night. We are expanding the run hopefully this week and that’s when I’ll start the real integration. Glad it’s going well for you!

We put in a lower roosting bar for them to get used to huddling together on the bar, rather than massing together on the ground.
AD37C49E-A57C-4207-AFEE-3F0C33E52697.jpeg

They are starting to take to it.
Will move it higher in a couple weeks

Attachments

• D2C818DB-D3E6-415B-83D8-345FEF56E2D2.jpeg
    D2C818DB-D3E6-415B-83D8-345FEF56E2D2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom