Move the brooder outside?

Hickory_Hills

Chirping
Mar 2, 2024
Hickory Corners, Michigan
I live in Michigan; it’s still getting in the low 30s at night. I’m afraid to move the brooder to my garage, because I don’t want them to freeze to death. I have a brooder light. But I’m worried one of the chicks will fall asleep in the cold side and die. And thoughts would help!

My 3' x 6' brooder is in the coop. I've put chicks in it straight from the incubator when temperatures were below freezing. As long as you have an area in there that is warm enough they are not going to go to sleep and freeze to death on the cold side.

How are you providing heat? I use a heat lamp but several have been very successful using a heating pad cave. Many have used heat plates but some of those come with a warning to not use their heat plates in temperatures below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. It depends on the heat plate. Ohio brooders (an inverted box) can work really well too if they are set up properly.

I like having one area warm enough with other areas that cool off a lot. Some mornings my brooder has frost on the cold side but the area where the chicks are is plenty warm. I think having cold areas allows them to acclimate faster than if it were all tropical temperatures.

I live in Michigan; it’s still getting in the low 30s at night. I’m afraid to move the brooder to my garage, because I don’t want them to freeze to death. I have a brooder light. But I’m worried one of the chicks will fall asleep in the cold side and die. And thoughts would help!
Please post pictures of your setup.
It would be highly unusual for them not to go under the heat source.
I assume you have secured the top with screening of some kind to prevent them flying out?

I
My 3' x 6' brooder is in the coop. I've put chicks in it straight from the incubator when temperatures were below freezing. As long as you have an area in there that is warm enough they are not going to go to sleep and freeze to death on the cold side.

How are you providing heat? I use a heat lamp but several have been very successful using a heating pad cave. Many have used heat plates but some of those come with a warning to not use their heat plates in temperatures below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. It depends on the heat plate. Ohio brooders (an inverted box) can work really well too if they are set up properly.

I like having one area warm enough with other areas that cool off a lot. Some mornings my brooder has frost on the cold side but the area where the chicks are is plenty warm. I think having cold areas allows them to acclimate faster than if it were all tropical temperatu
I have a 250 watt type R heat lamp

I assume you have secured the top with screening of some kind to prevent them flying out?
I have two 250 watt type R lamps.
I have board as a cover for now.

Attachments

• IMG_9406.jpeg
    IMG_9406.jpeg
    391.5 KB · Views: 14
I have two 250 watt type R lamps.
I have board as a cover for now.
You really need to get rid of the boards/cardboard. It traps heat and can cause the chicks to overheat and promotes pasty butt. Use a piece of window screen and binder clips to secure to the totes.

Having it off to one side is good. They need a cool side to get away from the heat and that is where the food and water should be kept.

How many chicks are in there? You need 1 sq ft per chick.
The heat lamp is not properly secured. You need to add chains to further secure it.

You really need to get rid of the boards/cardboard. It traps heat and can cause the chicks to overheat and promotes pasty butt. Use a piece of window screen and binder clips to secure to the totes.

Having it off to one side is good. They need a cool side to get away from the heat and that is where the food and water should be kept.

How many chicks are in there? You need 1 sq ft per chick.
The heat lamp is not properly secured. You need to add chains to further secure it.
I am building a better brooder that is 6sq ft. I will make sure to secure the lamp better. Food and water under the lamp?

Back
Top Bottom