BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Pics
Here's our indoor brooder, just got it finished. This is for chicks up to 4 weeks.
IMG_0140.jpg

DH and I went to take brooder outside to the chicken coop, and I ended up taking it apart so we could get it through the doors. No problems putting it back together though. It's warming up in the coop getting ready for the babies to come tomorrow.

Small brooder: plastic bin is straight sided, clear. 17 1/4' x 24' x 13' deep
Top is old wire fridge shelf, held on by zip ties on one side.
(wire closet shelves work great for larger size bins)
03060818061.jpg

03060822341.jpg

*******************FIRE RISK ***************************

I love all these brooders, Moonwalker Good idea on the wire shelves...

HOW EVER I SEE you and at least one other person are using a lamp with a Black Plastic top. I want to caution everyone about them..
I had one that melted the black fixing and melt the wire completely off, GOOD thing we were home or we may have burned down.
That lamp was not meat to be left on 24/7 and I found that I will not put more than a regular 60 watt bulb in it..
Regardless of the sticker recomendation as high as 100 watt because thats what I had in it when it cought fire.

EVERY ONE look at the difference in the light on some of the other brooders they have a white Ceramic top
and a heaver duty cord. Made for use as a heat lamp.. You can buy them at TSC, AGWAY, AND MOST OTHER FEED STORES.

Melanie in NY JUST WANTING EVERYINE TO BE SAFE

Last edited:
OK, we're 2-1/2 weeks into our first chicken experience. We started with this brooder, a 30 inch pail with a hula hoop covered in hardware cloth for a cover. Thought we'd be good for a while but those gals grow fast!!!
n1131760771_17398_4208.jpg

So then we thought we'd spend a little and give our gals some room to run! We got a 2x2x6 feeder from a local feed store and our 2 week olds are loving the extra room! We added two chicks this week for a total of 6 and they all get along great!
n1131760771_17396_3682.jpg

n1131760771_17397_3959.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_3294.jpg

Our "Flock-of-Sillies" were getting a bit crowded so we put two tubs together to make a larger brooder. They are almost 3 weeks old. At first they just crowded around the far corner, but now they've spread out a bit. Dh put up a small piece of wood for them to practice jumping onto and for playing "Queen of the Brooder".

We suddenly came home from the store with 6 baby chicks, and what better was sitting unused in the driveway??? But a toolbox. It is making a great brooder. LOL. We cleaned it up really good with hot soapy water, and our chickies now have a home! :0)

P1010649.jpg

Back
Top Bottom