BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Pics
Here is ours......
chicks010.jpg

chicks013.jpg

chicks020.jpg

Quote:
I have 40 eggs to hatch out and was wondering how big a brooder I would need. Please keep me posted as to how quickly your guys outgrow their brooder. Which btw came out very nice.
smile.png

Im SO sorry I didnt see this! I totally forgot about this thread. Those chicks were chicks in April. They are all rehomed now, except for the NNs. The brooder held all 40 for over a month though! I was able to move them out into the big coop pretty early, as it was pretty warm here. Thanks for the comments though!

Sorry- I've posted in this thread before, but I'm still a little confused about brooder size. I'm getting 25 Cornish X's in about a month, and I'll be keeping them in the brooder for about 4 weeks. If all goes well, I'm getting 50 more in the fall, so I'd want to use the same brooder. With the fast growth of the Cornish X, I don't want them to outgrow it before they're ready to go outside. How big should I go?

Sounds to me like you will need a brooder for them as babies, but a coop, or some LARGE area for them to finish out in, up to a month old. Don't they grow pretty fast, and will be pretty large in a month? I would suggest an outside coop, with a heat bulb, if you need warmth for them. But I don't know much about the Cornish cross, except they are fast growers. I hatched 40 Rhode Island Reds, and thought I was in pretty good shape for brooders, (in our heated garage) as I had 3 brooders each about 3 ft by 4 ft, and 2 cages about 2 ft by 3 ft, (Total about 48 sq. ft) and I got in trouble having room for them all, as they grew. I know this isn't much help, but some with more experience hopefully will reply.

I am getting so many good ideas for a brooder for when the chicks I haven't even ordered yet come in. The kiddie wading pool is how I was going to and maybe still will go, but the supermarket watermelon box is a great idea too. And making a cover for it may be easier. Thanks to all!! Will post pics when it's in place!

Quote:
COOPDELISLE: I LOVE YOUR BROODER!
HOW DID YOU SECURE THE WOOD FRAME TO THE FRONT OF THE TOTE? THANK YOU. LIZ

Back
Top Bottom