BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

How come my pictures are all overlapping each other? When I go into "EDIT, they look fine.

Yeah looks weird not sure why that is. Maybe put a row or 2 space between pics
idunno.gif

I used one of my kids old toy chest (a larger rubber made type container) and hung the heat lamp from the ceiling in the basement. We will be moving them to a larger brooder/tractor we built from one of the brooder pictures under coops. We plan to keep this one under our deck so that we have access to an electrical outlet for the heat lamp. I think this will us enough time to complete the coop and run area.

I needed one with lots of capacity. This is a heavy duty shelf unit that I purchased for $70. I added lights made from broken 4 ft florescent, added the incandescent screw in fixtures for two bulbs per shelf. 8 cages made from 1/2 inch hardware cloth, Made plywood litter trays (haven't painted those yet so I cut up feed bags as liners to protect). And there you have it, room for 240 chicks up to two to three weeks of age. I use 100 watt bulbs for the first week, 75 watt for the second and 60 watt for the third week. Located in an unheated barn so temperature is frequently at 32 degrees at night and up to 65 or so during the day this time of the year. I lean a piece of insulation about two foot away at the bottom and touching at the top during the night, stays 95 degrees on the top shelf, about 80 on the bottom shelf. There are four shelves of chicks. Easy to clean, just pull the cage off the shelf. They knock a little litter out the front. The sides and back have 1 inch insulation cut to fit to prevent a draft, when it warms up I can easily remove the side or back insulation to provide extra ventilation. I always have the youngest chicks at the top, moving them down a row as more hatch, This is my first season with this setup, so far it is working well.
Really love you set up. We were thinking of doing the same thing in our brooder room in our barn as well. Can you please send more pics of what your set up looks like. Like a shot from the front ? Would like to see a more of a front view of your cages. I know of a guy that comes to our trade days that will make these for me. And I am like you i have 75 meat chickens right now that are in like 4 different cages 2 are really big one, 6 silkies, 1 fizzle, 1 unknown chick that are in one cage, 3 silkies that are juvinile in another. And my Bator goes on lock down friday with 4 different breeds in there. This set up is perfect for keep like breeds together. I bet it takes up less room too lol
deana

40221_dscf9458.jpg

I love this idea! Just went on to CL and found a vanity just like this, my son and I are picking it up in an hour. We are total newbies to chicken raising and have been reading all these threads like crazy. Can't wait to get our babies!

eta- what a nice brother! ;)

Did you make one of theses? Is this one yours? I love this I have an old kitchen cabinet that has nothing but old paint and spiders in it. I think I could remove drawers and cover with wire and same for the front doors. leave the top on and put incubators on the top, wahla hatching nursery.

I haven't read through all the posting yet and I'm wondering if anyone has tried using recycled watermelon boxes as brooders?
I picked one up when I went to Wal-Mart last week and throught it will probably work out better than the plastic totes I've used the last 3 years. Nice side heights, no corners for anyone to get trapped in, folds down flat for storage when not in use. I typically brood 25 at a time and the plastic totes just aren't big enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom