BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

I didn't get through all 180 pages of this thread but these ideas are great! I need cut a 2x4 tomorrow to stabilize the feeders/waterers, get and some cheapo thermometers at walmart. I was going by their behavior but I would like to know. I have the older/larger three in a huge tupperware tub and the 2 smaller ones in a 30 gallon aquarium.(All five were together but they grow so fast.) I had some metal screen like stuff in a roll left over from an art project which I'm using for now to cover the tops. I like the home made roosts too!! It's crazy how fast they are growing I'm not sure what I'm going to do when they're all around 4 weeks (right now the oldest is about 2.5 weeks and the youngest is 1.5).

i'm using a 2 story rabbit hutch, ducks on top, chicks on the bottom. the ducks sure make a mess though, cant wait to put them in a tractor outside

Apologies for the double post - I didn't realize we had a brooder thread.

These are made from 4'x8' corrugated plastic sign board from home depot. I cut it lengthwise into 2'x8' pieces and screwed the ends together with some bits of wood. I had some leftover soffit that i use to partially cover the brooder for draft control.

I can adjust the size as much as I want. I plan to wash them off and store it flat for many seasons :)

This is the best "new and original" idea I've seen! I've got lots of eggs in the incubator and will need more room. This just might be an option.

Sign board? I hadn't heard of it but will have to look it up. I like the idea that you can just take it apart and store it flat till next year.

Our brooder is just $5 worth of boxes from Walmart taped together. The bottom is covered in a big garbage bag to keep any goo from leaking out the bottom, then we have another box with newspaper and shavings on top (we didn't want the plastic anywhere the hcicks could eat it!). Initially we had partitions dividing the box up so they didn't have too much space, but they've gotten big enough we've taken them out (they LOVE playing chicken tag around the water cooler!). On top we just put some window screens. So far it's working pretty well.

It's funny, when the husband and I were house hunting, I didn't see the need for a dining room (growing up we used ours three times a year). Who knew what we really bought was a chicken room?!

Try searching on "48 in x 96 in corrugated plastic cardboard". Looks like you can get 10 sheets for $110. I paid about $20 for individual sheets in canada, eh :)

Hey Caity - great broody. I'm especially impressed with you finding a pratical use for a dining room. LOL

Last edited:
Hubby built me a nice brooder
smile.png

The little Sultans seem to enjoy it
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
Nice looking brooder! I would recommend that you double secure your lamp and don't count on only the clamp. I have always wired my brooder lamp in addition to the clamp because I have had problems with the clamp coming off when I accidentally bump the light. Gotta keep those cute little babies safe!
yippiechickie.gif

I don't have a great photo, but I am using a outdoor fish pond liner for our brooder. The ledges make a great place for a makeshift perch by running a thin piece of wood between the two higher ledges. I cover the top with an old window screen and a sheet of plywood. Their heat lamp is outside the brooder above the window screen.

Back
Top Bottom