BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

HI! New here and just wanted to join in sharing what we did for our brooder. Since we already had two dog crates that were no longer in use, we used one to convert to a brooder. We used left over cardboard (one of which was a yard sale sign, as you can see in the pic) to cover around the bottom half to keep the shavings in and keep the cats out!

We use the chick 'n hutch from Tractor Supply. They are usually on sale this time of year. Then after they were ready for their outdoor space we took the front door off and it gives them some protection from the sun and wind. (we call it their porch) We hung the brooder lamp inside and put a box and a perch inside also. As you can see, we didn't have to worry about the cat.

I needed one with lots of capacity. This is a heavy duty shelf unit that I purchased for $70. I added lights made from broken 4 ft florescent, added the incandescent screw in fixtures for two bulbs per shelf. 8 cages made from 1/2 inch hardware cloth, Made plywood litter trays (haven't painted those yet so I cut up feed bags as liners to protect). And there you have it, room for 240 chicks up to two to three weeks of age. I use 100 watt bulbs for the first week, 75 watt for the second and 60 watt for the third week. Located in an unheated barn so temperature is frequently at 32 degrees at night and up to 65 or so during the day this time of the year. I lean a piece of insulation about two foot away at the bottom and touching at the top during the night, stays 95 degrees on the top shelf, about 80 on the bottom shelf. There are four shelves of chicks. Easy to clean, just pull the cage off the shelf. They knock a little litter out the front. The sides and back have 1 inch insulation cut to fit to prevent a draft, when it warms up I can easily remove the side or back insulation to provide extra ventilation. I always have the youngest chicks at the top, moving them down a row as more hatch, This is my first season with this setup, so far it is working well.

Last edited:
I started off using a large plastic tote for my 11 chicks. They very quickly outgrew it. I had planned all along to use this though. It is a 20yr old 4X4 playpen with vinyl flooring that goes about 3" up the side. I added some cardboard on the floor to keep chicks from pecking it apart. The cardboard just happens to come up about 4" along 3 sides. I did find it too cool in my unheated room so, I wrapped it with a tarp. I also put blankets over it, leaving a space for the heat lamp, to hold in the heat when needed. Excuse the mess, this is pre-stir and addition of today's fresh shavings.

I am using plastic netting over the top at only 1 week old because they were starting to get some height in some of their play.

Hubby built me a nice brooder
smile.png

The little Sultans seem to enjoy it
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom