BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

showed this to hubby after I sent the post. He says if you still had the Glass that went on top of the table.. You could have turned it into a cofee table brooder. I was Like yeah that is great idea. I would soo do that. lol
deana

It actually had a fake wood (if you want to call it that lol ) top. It was a cheap kitchen table we bought a few years ago. It was horrible, all the chairs legs bent, everytime the top got wet and not wiped up right away it would leave bubbles. So after we moved DH was using it as his shooting table lol. Then he made another one out of real wood and I had the frame sitting behind the shed for a while. Heck I'll be getting better use out of it like this than we did as a table lol. Believe it or not but with the top on, it actually sat 6 people.

I had to add this wonderful brooder to this list.This is a 50 year old Hudson Brooder. It looks something like a big top tent. The only bad thing is that its hard to see the chicks. It works so much better than a heat lamp.I don't think you can buy anything like this any more but it works so good. There is a heating element so you can set the temp and all is well. it doesn't get too hot or two cold.

It was very hot today so I unpluged it to turn the light off on the inside. but even with the light it wasn't over heating under it.

Just adding, there is a cover for the hole in the top.

Last edited:
I did not realize it was a kitchen table LOL I was thinking it was more of a coffee table size.
That is great size you have, gives them lots of room to move around as they get bigger. I will have to keep an eye out for something like that just in case I need it.

what a great find you have. how did you find it if I may ask? I think they should start bringing back some of the older brooders some are a lot better than what is out there now.
is that a table you made to fit the brooder into, or did that come with it as well?

I had to add this wonderful brooder to this list.This is a 50 year old Hudson Brooder. It looks something like a big top tent. The only bad thing is that its hard to see the chicks. It works so much better than a heat lamp.I don't think you can buy anything like this any more but it works so good. There is a heating element so you can set the temp and all is well. it doesn't get too hot or two cold.
It was very hot today so I unpluged it to turn the light off on the inside. but even with the light it wasn't over heating under it.
Just adding, there is a cover for the hole in the top.

[COLOR=B22222]what a great find you have.  how did you find it if I may ask?  I think they should start bringing back some of the older brooders some are a lot better than what is out there now. [/COLOR]
 [COLOR=B22222]is that a table you made to fit the brooder into, or did that come with it as well?[/COLOR]

[/quote

Well, it was put up in the barn. My inlaws bought it new and used it for many years. My husband knew where it was and brought it down for his chicks - the Cornish X.

The brooded sits on the coop floor. We put a box and some old bags under it to make cleanup easier. We slapped together some old boards to keep the chicks next to the brooded. Today was hot so I let the chicks out into the coop to find a cooler spot. To let the chicks out I just put the board fence up on coffee cans so the chicks could run in and out from under the brooded. Tonight I let the board fence down and put all the chicks back under the brooder. Maybe tomorrow or the next day I can take some pics that would give it better dimensions.

Last edited:
I have never seen it before. wonder if you could still find one on craigslist or Ebay hmm might have to have a look in my area. Speaking of cornish x my husband informed me last night that we will have 75 delivered to us tomorrow to finish growing out and then to butcher. should be interesting sense we have not done it before LOL.
do you feed yours Game Bird feed? I have read that is what they needed.
guess I need to read the posts in the gamebird forums.
Pictures would be nice thanks.
deana

I have never seen it before. wonder if you could still find one on craigslist or Ebay hmm might have to have a look in my area.  Speaking of cornish x my husband informed me last night that we will have 75 delivered to us tomorrow to finish growing out and then to butcher.  should be interesting sense we have not done it before LOL.
 do you feed yours Game Bird feed? I have read that is what they needed.
guess I need to read the posts in the gamebird forums.
Pictures would be nice thanks.
deana

Deana, we feed our Cornish X yellow field peas (not split peas), wheat, corn, chick starter or grower. We can't get game bird feed where we live. The yellow peas are high in protein and make a tasty bird. We grow all the grains so we raise the birds for very little. We feed all the chickens the same thing. We have very nice birds. We fattened cows off the peas and my friend raves about how good, and tender the 5 yearold cow we sold her is. The protein in the peas keeps the birds on their feet and bones straight. Last year our CX dressed out at @ 10 to 11 pounds - a little too big but healthy. This year we plan on smaller birds.

Back
Top Bottom