BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

what a great use for old windows. I love old windows. I have one here at the farm that someone painted some flowers on it for me. Still trying to figure out where I want to hang it. I am thinking of hanging it in my bathroom I just remodeled
Those are some really great pics. You should put them in a post card and send them out to family.

I also use this as a brooder. These do not need the light anymore now they just need to get bigger so I can integrate them with the bigger chickens. I am going to be taking the white EE's and putting them with my bigger EE's tomorrow. Time for them to come out sense they can get on top of the door shelf that is in there. Underneather that is where my buffs lay their eggs and sit on them as well.

Last edited:
Here is a pick of my free brooder: another watermelon box... I think my 12 chicas should be comfy in here.

_EMA3379.jpg

_EMA3378.jpg

that looks like a great box. It looks really fun the way you have it set up I bet they really like it. I will keep the watermelon box in mind next time I go to the store. they can be used for all kinds of things. Set 2 up side by side and put food on one side and they can sleep and play on the other. good for the ones that are to big to be with the little ones and not quite ready to hang out with the big kids. Be great for the Momma rabbits to have her babies in too. I knew I would start thinking of ways to use the BIG boxes. lol

loooks wonderful! I need to get the water up higher, the girls don't seem to have forgotten their manners once in the spacious watermelon box. I am using upside down ground beef cartons and it's not enough to keep them from spilling and getting it all dirty...but other than that they love all the space

Last edited:
Followed another thread here to share my brooder. It was originally a coop for 6 hens my mom gave me last year. Its a Rubbermaid mower shed my BF was about to throw away. A raccoon killed all my hens over the course of a week in late spring. It was an okay coop, but makes an even better brooder. Right now I have 28 chicks in it and they are 3 1/2 weeks old. I sectioned off the inside of the shed using a 2 ft tall board screwed into the walls and moved it proportionally to their growth. Its currently indoors without the roof sections attached.
325-3752-02-OLVSS.jpg

Day 1 to 2 weeks: Chicks in about 1/3 of the shed.

2 Weeks to 3 1/2 weeks: Chicks in half the shed

3 1/2 weeks to coop: Full shed

Had to put bird netting up because they would fly to the top of the brooder walls - even before I put the roosts in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom