BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Here's our brooder, has a removable divider that can be placed anywhere needed. We had two groups of chicks of different ages in these pictures, so one on each side. There is a cover for the top as well.

I have 2, 3 & 4 week old chicks in my pole barn for the past week. It is supposed to get down to 38 tonight. I do have a 250 heat light on for them and they seem to be fine. It also depends how many you have as they will huddle together to keep warm. I have 23 chicks so they have plenty to huddle with. They are in a 4' x 8' brooder.

Thanks, this helps. I only have 6 and they are in a 110 gallon plastic stock tank. I may give it another week inside. My house is starting to smell a bit barn like. I think I may need to change their pellet bedding in the meantime.

Here's my MESS FREE brooder right after i built it!!!!
jumpy.gif

Here's the removable 'poop' tray... (HENCE THE MESS FREE)

(SIDE VIEW) I STILL NEED TO INSTALL SUPPORT 2X4'S IN BETWEEN THE LEGS TO KEEP THEM FROM WOBBLING IN THIS OKLAHOMA WIND...

THERE IS NO NEED TO CLEAN WOODCHIPS OR ANY TYPE OF BEDDING OUT OF THIS BROODER... EVER!!!
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

In the bottom i stapled down 1/2 inch hardware cloth down on the bottom so therefore the chicks droppings will fall right through to the tray.. IT IS PROBABLY BEST TO LAY NEWSPAPER DOWN ON THE TRAY TO MAKE FOR EASY DUMPING.. IF THE BROODER IS OUTSIDE.. YOU CAN REMOVE THE TRAY AND HAVE AN INSTANT FERTALIZER!!

*****FEEL FREE TO MESSAGE IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE OR HAVE QUESTIONS*****

Last edited:
Nice job, but is it OK to have day old chicks on wire? I don't know; that's why I ask.

As long as the wire is small enough that their feet arent falling though... The only problem ive seen is if you do keep it inside you'll want to dump the tray pretty regularly because it is just straight feces on the newspaper on the tray and no woodchips to fight the smell.. but ive never had that big of a problem.. I know plenty of people who have done this with their brooders.. Here is also a link that says how to brood day old chicks..

http://www.plamondon.com/faq_chickcare.html

So I breezed most of these pages and have settled on a watermelon type box I hope to score from Wallyworld. I would like to kick my 30 chicks set to hatch in 9 days outside to the carport after the first week or two. I am in East Tx so temps should be highs 70-90 and low above 50 which i assume is fine with a lamp. A couple of questions-will that size box hold them for a while? Also, anyone have any ideas for predictor proofing? I have small gauge construction mesh but am unsure the best way to secure it. Build a wooden frame?

Its raining here or I'd go to the barn and measure it ... but I am guessing 3ftx3ft. DH bought it .... and I think he paid $65-$70 for it at our local feed store. We plan on adding/replacing chickens each year so we wanted to get something we could keep in our barn and use as needed for years ....

Back
Top Bottom