BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

I am trying brooding for my first time so im going to start out with 2 chick's and im wondering if I can use a small tupperware container for the brooder and a stuffed animal and a hot water bottle as the heat source. Would that work?

I'm afraid not. The hot water bottle won't maintain a constant, steady heat unless you can empty and refill every couple of hours for the next 4 or 5 weeks - maybe even longer. Lots of people do use Rubbermaid totes as brooders with great success, bearing in mind how quickly chicks will outgrow whatever space you put them in. So if it's big enough, a tote will be fine. But you do need to look at another heat source, either a heat lamp or, as I and many other do, a heating pad.

Here is a link to the the thread that talks about using a heating pad. Oh, and welcome to BYC! Plenty of help everywhere here - good people with lots of experience to call upon when you need them! Check out the Learning Center, located in the tab at the top of the page for a lot of solid advice.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

I just moved them from a smaller dog cage we revamped for the chick's to an extra large dog cage we have I turned it upside so that if I need to move the light I can with ease. All 7 chicks seem to love it more and are just flapping around since their feathers are starting to come in. I am going to add some roost. And maybe take the idea of toys maybe bird toys for em. They don't seem to hubble as much in here as they did in the smaller cage the temp is just right and room for cool spot too

Back
Top Bottom