BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by arwmommy, May 17, 2007.

1. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    [​IMG]
    Looks like "sticky" threads get ignored!?

Where are all the brooders?

Duckymomlol likes this.
  2. twincreekfarm

twincreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Vandalia, OH
    i used an old port-a-crib for mine . . . . if i knew how to post a picture, I'd show ya'll and offer it to someone when I'm done!

3. sicily0144

sicily0144 New Egg

Jul 22, 2007
    Here are my Babies... 5 Americaunas, 6 Buff Orpingtons. 4 days old. Have them in a tub in small playpen. Will go in playpen when bigger. Also had them in aa large birdcage. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. natchlaly

natchlaly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    east yorkshire UK
    i had an emergency on my hands when hen attacked her pipping eggs luckily i had an old 4ft fish tank which made an ideal brooder for the first few weeks

5. twincreekfarm

twincreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Vandalia, OH
    Ok, I think i may have found a way to post my brooder picture . . .let's see if it works

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  6. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    My brooder is a rabbit hutch I got at a yard sale for $10.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    I went to Wal Mart and this clerk moving watermelons from one big hugh cardboard box to another. I took one look at the box and thought BROODER! I ask the young man what he was going to do with the box, he looked at me as if I lost a screw.

Short story is I walked out with I hugh cardboard watermelon box and it is working out great!

2 people like this.
  8. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    My brooder is a 36X30" rabbit cage pan ($17 at Tractor Supply) for the base, and those cube grids you make storage units out of for the sides. The grids are doubled since a couple of the peeps could pop though when I first got them. I used Zip/Cable Ties to connect the grids. The lid is hardware cloth on a 1X frame. Total cost was less than $20.

I used pine in the bottom, and as you can see from the pics they do kick it out quite a bit now. That's not a big deal for me since the brooder is out in my kennel building and I can just sweep the excess out every couple days. They are due a complete litter change anyway today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My brooder light is hung from a dog grooming table loop turned backwards (the part where you secure the dog's collar). I turned the metal frame backward, and then can use the adustment on the table to raise or lower the lights.

Since it's been in the 90s for the past month, they haven't liked their light much...

9. KellyandKatie

KellyandKatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    thank you! I got a lot of really great ideas from here!
    We are using a rubermaid tote right now.
    But i like the pic of teh dog kennel conversions, I worry about our cat, so that seems like a good idea for us when our chicks geta bit bigger
    Thanks

10. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    My chicks have outgrown their brooder - they're almost 5 weeks old, I just moved them out to the patio - put boxes up to cordon off an area for them - the brooder is back in the far end, made out of those wire shelving systems - and held extra securely with zip ties. I had it closed on top when they were tiny and in the house - with two of the wire cube thingies.....

Now they're big girls - on the patio with two small roosts to sit on - they do still seem to go into the brooder at night to cuddle.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by