BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Pics
Here's my brooder. This is my first time raising chicks, so I'm staying with the basics and trying to keep my costs down too.
It stays warm in the area I have the brooder (utility room with water heater & dryer). I've got a 100W bulb in that desk lamp and the temps are staying right where they should be. They are 5 days old in this pic and I have the temp around 88. Newspaper in the bottom in this pic (shredded) I've since bought a bale of pine shavings & a bag of DE for the bedding. Deep litter sounds great to me! Currently I'm scrounging materials for my coop. There's a house in remodel neaby, so I'm hoping I can dumpster dive!
19695_chicks1.jpg

I didn't go through all the posts, but don't baby chicks need a constant temp and you slowly decrease the temp each week??? I've had my 1st chicks ever for about 1 week. I'm worried they will get a chill. Is it OK to keep them in an open cage with a light? If they get cold will they just go to the light? My 6 babies are in a 30 gallon aquarium with a 100 watt light bulb over the top. Is this too much heat?? I don't want to fry them!!! I hope I'm doing the right thing!!!!
idunno.gif

sandyj

Do you have a thermometer laying around the house that you can lay under the bulb on the floor of the aquarium, and see what the temp gets to? And, have the bulb just over one end, --the chicks know how to adjust themselves to the temp they want, IF they can--if they have room enough to get away from the heat. Look at your chicks. If they are huddled directly under the bulb, they don't have enough heat. If they are trying to get away from the bulb, they have too much. Get a smaller bulb, if you have too much heat. And if they are in a glass aquarium, be careful, as it will hold heat.

This one is 6' long by 2' wide and 2' deep..Divided into three 2'x2' stalls.Each with its own heat source.Each light mount has its own dimmer switch on the back to control temp..Like in the pics, I have 5 four week olds in there under a white light, then in another 13 5 day olds under a red lamp. This way each stall can serve its own needs. It has a 1/4" mesh floor with a drop pan under it..The stall dividers are removable.
Picture307.jpg

Picture308.jpg

Picture305.jpg

Picture306.jpg

I've really enjoyed the ingenuity that went into some of your brooder design. Mine started out as a couple large totes. But this last week I got tiered of the smell in the house and not being able to use the one bathroom where they were at. It was also hard to take care of them with no room to work. so I moved them to a different brooder

Its a box trailer my dad has had parked in my drive for a while so I figured I use it. Now they have plenty of room to roam but cant escape. I apologize for the size of the pic I can't figure out how to make them bigger

Last edited:
msearls, I know what you mean. I keep mine in the spare bathroom also. Hubby never uses it until I have hatching eggs or chicks in there. I have to clean the box from them daily. I use to move them to the barn at 2 weeks, but now my pheasants are bulling the babies so I am in the process of rearranging. I have to finish the pheasant coop before I can do much else. Then things can go back to normal.

Mseals, just double click on your small pictures, and they will become big. Those are thumbnails, designed to not take upmuch room but easy to enlarge by clicking. Very nice looking brooder. Hope you dad doesn't decide he needs to haul something in his trailer.
tongue.png

Our first brooder box looked like this:

360049393.jpg

then, when that silly girl got ahold of it...it was renamed "THE NURSERY". It now comes complete with stuffed animals, baby dolls, and colored pictures hanging for the babies to look at:

359906639.jpg

Never, ever a dull moment...

love.gif

Back
Top Bottom