BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Just a 2x4 box made from plywood that my DH made for my 4 new chicks. one of the 2' sides is a giant door to make it easy to clean. the cross piece at the bottom is a nice low roost, teh top one keeps the heat lamps secure. it is 2' tall so they can even get a little flying action going. The top is solid for now since it helps to hold in the heat but will be switched for screen if it heats up. It is in the garage so no dust and yuck in the house. I am a happy chick mom.

Moved the chicks out to the coop today, the brooder was just getting to cramped for them. As soon as I would take netting off of top, the would fly up to edges to look out. This is arrow walking around the top.

And now they have lots of room to fly around.

How many chicks did this set up accommodate? I am getting 30 broilers and needs something temporary before they go out to pasture in tractors at 4 weeks. Would you recommend this setup/ would you/have you done this setup again?
Thank you!

Using a large dog crate and wire racks wired to the sides so I can flip them open or closes easy. Water is chicken nipples, added another one since they love it so much. Food is just coffee container with holes drilled so they can't climb/poop in their food. Heating is the momma heating pad. Working perfectly so far! This is step one brooder they have a larger one to move to once a little older. Only cost me 20bucks for the whole thing, $19 for heating pad and $1 for the nipples

Last edited:
How many chicks did this set up accommodate? I am getting 30 broilers and needs something temporary before they go out to pasture in tractors at 4 weeks. Would you recommend this setup/ would you/have you done this setup again?
Thank you!

Not sure who you're asking, my brooder was a large cardboard box and I only had 5 EEs in it. I, getting 5 RIR and 5 BR Tuesday/Wednesday and I will use this same box , I like the set up and it worked better then just small playpen that I was using. The new 10 will probably outgrow it faster, but cause its just cardboard I can easily extend it with more cardboard.

Back
Top Bottom