BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

New brooder pre-chick arrival. Used 1/2 in hardware cloth so I can eventually keep this in the barn, but kind of wish I'd used 1/4 in to keep pine shavings in, in the meantime daily sweeping!

Shavings don't need to be that deep...and you can put some cardboard (or 1/4" HC) up around the bottom edges to minimize the kick out. Nice build!

Last edited:
Shavings don't need to be that deep...and you can put some cardboard (or 1/4" HC) up around the bottom edges to minimize the kick out. Nice build!

Thanks! The pic was taken pre-sanitation from my last batch of six week olds that had just moved outside. I usually use puppy pads the first week, then switch to shavings, though I still hate them, even a thin layer (been spoiled by sand and sawdust in the coops). I hate using cardboard since it usually gets torn up or knocked down despite my best efforts to secure it. In the background you can kind of see my dog kennel, which my broody and her babies just finished with. I tested out cut up feed bags, which worked pretty well an wiped clean fairly easily. I'm probably going to rip some plywood for half walls.

I use sand in the brooder....just posted a pic here yesterday.

My current residents are 2 weeks, so I was thinking of giving it a try once I get the brooder in the barn, especially since I just used up my last bale of shavings. I love being able to scoop the poop out daily!

Another thing that works really well for keeping shavings in is Press 'n Seal. Yep, you read that right. You run a strip along the sides, half the width of the strip pressed to the front and the other half hanging down. Then kinda pick up each side of the brooder and fold the excess under the brooder. Keeps the shavings in, really clings to the hardware cloth, and it works. I've done it around the dog crate brooder I had in the house. Nothing will keep every flake in - even little chicks' flinger thingers work pretty well - but the Press 'n Seal sure helped.

You can see the Press 'n Seal along the back of the brooder, and also on top of their heating pad.

I got my new coop finished. Part of what I wanted to do was incorporate a brooder/quarantine cage in. I sectioned off part of the area under the roost and poop board that has access to one of the pop doors. I have a door that can be removed for when I don't need it, and I have a temporary fence I can install to keep part of the run available for chicks or new birds. Right now I temporarily have the 4 and 5 week olds in it separated from the older ones for safety

Here's a few pics:

the brooder cage. For now the heat lamp is clamped, screwed and tied to the wall frame work. I intend on installing a permanent light fixture in the cage, controlled by a dimmer

and the run separation:

it's just plastic garden fencing, zip tied to pvc legs and zip tied to the hoop run. Bottom is held in place with landscape cloth staples. Cheap, easy and I can take it down and roll it up to store when not needed

fixed it so you can see and reach in from the side, very well thought out!
thumbsup.gif

I got my new coop finished. Part of what I wanted to do was incorporate a brooder/quarantine cage in. I sectioned off part of the area under the roost and poop board that has access to one of the pop doors. I have a door that can be removed for when I don't need it, and I have a temporary fence I can install to keep part of the run available for chicks or new birds. Right now I temporarily have the 4 and 5 week olds in it separated from the older ones for safety

Here's a few pics:

the brooder cage. For now the heat lamp is clamped, screwed and tied to the wall frame work. I intend on installing a permanent light fixture in the cage, controlled by a dimmer

and the run separation:

it's just plastic garden fencing, zip tied to pvc legs and zip tied to the hoop run. Bottom is held in place with landscape cloth staples. Cheap, easy and I can take it down and roll it up to store when not needed
I LOVE that stuff! I keep some on hand for the odd situation and it has worked very well for us too. I separated a section of my run this last weekend for my littles too. I had some hog fence (the super strong stuff that is super stiff too) and lined it with this same material. Great to have on hand and very easy for sure.
thumbsup.gif

I got my new coop finished. Part of what I wanted to do was incorporate a brooder/quarantine cage in. I sectioned off part of the area under the roost and poop board that has access to one of the pop doors. I have a door that can be removed for when I don't need it, and I have a temporary fence I can install to keep part of the run available for chicks or new birds. Right now I temporarily have the 4 and 5 week olds in it separated from the older ones for safety Here's a few pics: the brooder cage. For now the heat lamp is clamped, screwed and tied to the wall frame work. I intend on installing a permanent light fixture in the cage, controlled by a dimmer and the run separation: it's just plastic garden fencing, zip tied to pvc legs and zip tied to the hoop run. Bottom is held in place with landscape cloth staples. Cheap, easy and I can take it down and roll it up to store when not needed
Nice! Definitely going to steal your chick setup for my new coop.

Back
Top Bottom