BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

I got my new coop finished. Part of what I wanted to do was incorporate a brooder/quarantine cage in. I sectioned off part of the area under the roost and poop board that has access to one of the pop doors. I have a door that can be removed for when I don't need it, and I have a temporary fence I can install to keep part of the run available for chicks or new birds. Right now I temporarily have the 4 and 5 week olds in it separated from the older ones for safety

Here's a few pics:
Hmmm I don't remember this from your build thread...but I CRS...Nice!

I used a cardboard box the ends folded up to keep bedding in and preventing a draft. I had and extra cage from one our Guinea Pig's cages and my old hamster cage.

this is mine for now

Made a new grow out brooder today. My Rubbermaid tub worked great for 5 chicks, even if a bit crowded for a couple weeks, up until 6 weeks of age. But today converted an old crib that I got for like 15 dollars. The side does slide down.. it is that old, but sturdy.. so am happy with it. The chicks seem to be too now that they can at least have some breathing room rather than rubbing shoulders all the time.

So the huge 50 gallon walmart tote was seeming really really small for them

I'm in the process of building a bigger 4x4 box
it will have the rails and then wire mesh going higher so they don't get out

The bottom pic is a crude drawing of what I'm going for

Made a new grow out brooder today. My Rubbermaid tub worked great for 5 chicks, even if a bit crowded for a couple weeks, up until 6 weeks of age. But today converted an old crib that I got for like 15 dollars. The side does slide down.. it is that old, but sturdy.. so am happy with it. The chicks seem to be too now that they can at least have some breathing room rather than rubbing shoulders all the time.
I love the crib idea. I saw one converted for a dog crate, definitely will need to try this once I no longer need the crib!

My husband calls this the Taj Mahal of chickens. I call it the mini cluck wagon.

The cage itself lifts free of the base. The bottom is plywood covered with linoleum - so much easier to clean! There is a "loft" for the bigger babies on the left and a "nursery" for small ones to the right with a small door between the two. That way the littles can go into the nursery, where it's warmer, but the big ones can't get in to bug them. Had to do it after getting 4 batches of chicks at different times - apparently I can't leave Tractor Supply without something cute and fluffy in my cart!

Close up of my australorps and buff orpingtons in the nursery. Actually my 3 barred rocks and 3 silkies (about 4 weeks old) can squeeze through the opening and like to hang out with the babies. It's adorable!

My husband calls this the Taj Mahal of chickens. I call it the mini cluck wagon.

The cage itself lifts free of the base. The bottom is plywood covered with linoleum - so much easier to clean! There is a "loft" for the bigger babies on the left and a "nursery" for small ones to the right with a small door between the two. That way the littles can go into the nursery, where it's warmer, but the big ones can't get in to bug them. Had to do it after getting 4 batches of chicks at different times - apparently I can't leave Tractor Supply without something cute and fluffy in my cart!

Brilliant!

Brilliant!

Thanks! I think it will serve us well for many years. We are expanding to a much larger coop this year (have to since I'm adding lots of new chickens) so this will be relocated to the coop in the future and not in my basement. Although I do love to go downstairs and hang out with the babies.....

Back
Top Bottom