BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

This is just a video I posted out on my channel.

But, you can see that just after having the chicks for a week, they have really grown! They will be ready for their coop in no time!

I have added bricks since then to raise their waterer off the ground. It has stayed much cleaner now.

I don't have a good pic of ours, and we have already dismantled it, but we used a cat kennel and MHP. The Kennel is about 2wx3lx4h, with plenty of room for food, water, the MHP and even a little beam to hop up on to look out the window.

I'm a first timer and not even officially a chicken mommy yet! A few more weeks and couldn't be more eggcited! Here is a photo of my brooder! I made the grey one first, but sometimes I get nerdy, carried away and continue creating things so I came up with a breezeway and added another tote! (I'm a total DIY'er & crafter, also make jewelry) I have to move the dowel with the swing towards the other end yet, and I will be making a mama heating pad dome that I will keep in the blue tote. Figured blue will be where they could heat their tushes and the grey could be use for food/water/play! I still have to secure the breezeway, right now it is just sitting on the edges cut. I didn't want to permanently affix the breezeway because I would like to be able to break it down easily & store it when the time comes.

Hope it works well, what do you guys think?

Nice job. I made two just like this recently the only thing I did different, is I put a hardware cloth window in the front so my three year old daughter can look in and watch them .

Here are some pictures of our newest brooder. A 5 drawer Sterilite plastic storage container.
This brooder is used for the new/small chicks.

Here you can see- I cut holes in the sides and back of the drawers for ventilation. I then covered them with 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth and secured them with zip ties. I made sure to cut the holes more toward the top so that when the chicks kick the woodchips around- they are less likely to make it out of the drawer.

Here's the hole cut along the back for ventilation.

Last edited:
Quote:
Nice job. I made two just like this recently the only thing I did different, is I put a hardware cloth window in the front so my three year old daughter can look in and watch them .

Thank you! Awww, I bet she just loved that huh?

#GreatMinds!

Here are some pictures of our newest brooder. A 5 drawer Sterilite plastic storage container.
This brooder is used for the new/small chicks.

Here you can see- I cut holes in the sides and back of the drawers for ventilation. I then covered them with 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth and secured them with zip ties. I made sure to cut the holes more toward the top so that when the chicks kick the woodchips around- they are less likely to make it out of the drawer.

Here's the hole cut along the back for ventilation.

That is a really neat design and very creative! I love how ou can use a few drawers for supply storage, too. Great job!

We just went from a jumbo plastic tub as a brooder (worked well) to this metal one. I'm liking the taller sides and the increase in space. And the chickie's seems to like seeing their reflections as having space to run and flap their little wings.

Upgraded to be able to make a "chick jail" if needed for pecking chick, and will work well when we get six more chicks in a few weeks.

And it's nice to have the chicks with our rabbit, Luna. Our temporary indoor barn :)

Last edited:

brooder is 5ft by 3ft and 2ft deep.......we purchased the eco-glow 50....we have 16 chicks. we have 2 heat lamps in there but currently do not have them running (regular bulb for light only) we had an issue with pasty butt because we were basically cooking them......the wife and I were nervous because of this ohio spring weather....and our garage was chilly but we quickly found that you don't need the heat lamps if you have the eco-glow ..

Back
Top Bottom