BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Repurposed doggie playpen. The top zips up to hold flying critters. Admittedly they didn't go in this until four weeks or so, as I was still learning...at this point they did have a mama heating pad. This was for six of them. See the sides? I did put pine shavings in cause the sides go up a little bit!

Dog is now on the outside. Also we did field trips with this to the outside as it was pretty easy to move...

Hey all! Here's our setup. Its a 75 gallon trough. The heat lamp is just a basic self clamping and the white light is a uva uvb light from when we had bearded dragons. I plan on adding a perch today but was unsure of how old before they would start using one. This is new to us. We have 15 buff orpingtons that are 2-3 weeks old.

Apparently I cant get the pic to upload :/

Last edited:
Hey all! Here's our setup. Its a 75 gallon trough. The heat lamp is just a basic self clamping and the white light is a uva uvb light from when we had bearded dragons. I plan on adding a perch today but was unsure of how old before they would start using one. This is new to us. We have 15 buff orpingtons that are 2-3 weeks old.

Apparently I cant get the pic to upload :/
If there is a roost that they can hop to, they will because they are curious little things. Mine are one to two weeks and will get up on the low roost but haven't yet tried for the "high" one that I've seen (it's about 18" up). But they'll be sleeping up there in just a couple more weeks -- it goes SO quickly.

I was figuring as much from what I've read. I'm thinking of elevating just 4-6 inches to start with so they have less chance of getting injured.

They'll love it! I'm a fan of chick roosts because it helps keep them from perching on the feeder (and then pooping in it).

Apparently I cant get the pic to upload
hmm.png
Don't rely on the "self clamping" thing alone on that heat lamp - they are notorious for failing! good luck with your chicks!

HUGE box my husband was able to get from a customer of his.

5 and 8 yr olds for size reference. They were drawing art for the chicks, while pretending to be chicks, lol!

Light is zip-tied onto a long 2x4 resting on top of the box. This will be switched out tomorrow for an MHP.

I've used this style lamp for years with my bearded dragons and never had an issue. What are they know for in failing?
The clamps can fail....they get a little loose and lose the tightness of the spring. They get bumped. Even a chick flying up into them can knock them to one side or even into the brooder. Personally I detest heat lamps of any kind for any use, but I know that others like them. So secure it, secure it, and when you think it's secured enough, secure it again. Use wire, a hanging chain, a wooden crosspiece - anything as a backup in case it gets knocked over or loose so it can't fall. Good luck!

I've used this style lamp for years with my bearded dragons and never had an issue. What are they know for in failing?
Bearded dragons don't have wings. I think a lot of people look at the tiny chicks in the bins not realizing that in a week, they'll be bouncing around like popcorn and not long after that, flying up onto whatever they think they might be able to reach and utterly without grace.

Back
Top Bottom