BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Pics
My brooders are my old bearded dragon cages.

1648_img_0486.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job!! Very thought out, nice and big (for a short while) until 25 tiny chicks grow and fill the space.

Love the idea that you can roll it out on a nice day.

Thanks for sharing how you made it on your home page.

Hi All!
big_smile.png

I honestly can't remember if I posted a picture of my brooder before.

But either way I have an update.

Here's my current brooder.
3333887328_3a0867096f.jpg

My chicks are still in there right now. They are 3 weeks old.

My BF built me a brooder out in the shed last night. We are going to be converting it to a full coop in the next couple weeks.

I was going to move them out there last night, but with only 1 heat lamp, the thermometer never got past 60.

Today I'm going to get another heat lamp. I'm not sure if I should get the same wattage or a cooler one. The one in there now is a 150W.
I've had the inside brooder around 75-80. I don't want to chill them too quickly.

Anyway here is a picture of my outdoor brooder from last night as it was being bult.
3378268231_96d5175ec2.jpg

This is before the back was was attached. That is left over tub surround. We figured that would work great because it would be easy to clean.
3379086722_5608af1658.jpg

Because of the cold temps DBF attached a piece of the tub surround to the front with 2 screws to keep the heat in.
While it's cold over night it will have all 4 walls.

The top is a piece of corrugated plastic. I think it's a left over piece of the material that was used to build the shed. It works nicely because it will still let air in & out.
Jeff cut a hole in it to hang the light inside the brooder.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Quote:
This one is great, I have 2 golden comets coming at the end of the week and plan to adapt a cat carrier for them, I don't think my 1 yr. old Aussie Bonnie would be as quick to give up her "room" to some day old chicks LOL I do plan on putting the carrier on top of her crate, critter condo's
cool.png
big_smile.png
LOL

Nice!

Farmer Mack

i see that a lot of you put a few "inches" of wood shaving in your brooder. if u put a lot of shaving and have enough space, do u have to change your brooder every 2 days or so like me?
roll.png

L*A*G* :

i see that a lot of you put a few "inches" of wood shaving in your brooder. if u put a lot of shaving and have enough space, do u have to change your brooder every 2 days or so like me?
roll.png

I used a lot of shavings, also adding DE to the shavings seemed to keep it clean longer also scratch for the 11 i raised last yr. I changed it once a month or as needed after they had reached a few weeks old​

I have read where some of you like sawdust for bedding for the chicks/chickens. How do you store it? We have sawmills around here that I know I can get it at, but how would I store a supply of it? How deep to you put it in, and I know you can sift it like kitty litter, so to speak, and make it easy to clean and help keep it healthy.

The pic below is of an old chick brooder I found in my friends pasture. He had no idea what it was until I told him. He said it had been there for 30 or 40 years.

24721_img_0340b.jpg

The heating element still worked but the wafer thermostat was broken. I decided to replace both. I removed the heating element and replaced it with 3 porcelain sockets. Two 150 watt bulbs and 1 red bulb. One of the 150 watt bulbs is controlled by a new wafer thermostat. It works great and holds a temp within 2 degrees.

24721_img_0341b.jpg

The chicks will be arriving around 4-2-09 and this is where they will stay for the first 6 or 8 weeks. It's a 5'X10' pen inside a storage room in my shop.

24721_img_0342b.jpg

Click on my BYC page to watch the build of their big coop and the chicks progress.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom