BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Pics
Quote:
there's 9 hens over and year in one coop and 4 10 month olds in another. only room for 2 more.
big_smile.png
he.gif

Haven't been on the forum in a while. Chickens got put on the back burner. Well, until the other day that is! We brought how 6 Ameraucauna chicks from the feed store the other day. Had to throw together a brooder pretty quick. I had most of the "stuff" but none of it was in the same place and the tub wasn't cleaned as the horses used it all winter as their heated trough. The coop hasn't been touched, but it will be now. Having chicks means it now HAS to get done.
smile.png

Here's our brooder setup until we get something bigger made:
P1030769.jpg

We don't have names for our girls yet. gotta be able to tell them all apart. May need to resort to leg bands or wing clips.
P1030787.jpg

Oh, and we got 2+ inches of snow last night. So much for spring! Hahahaha!

Follow the rest of our follies here:
EnumScratchN

Okay, they may be the first, but that does not mean the last. I started out with a few in 2006 - then a few more - a few more - a few more, more, more, more - oh know, when do I stop.
idunno.gif
lau.gif

Now, I just hatch my own to save money. Save money, oh no, I bought chicks from the Cackle Hatchery in February and they should be here around April 10th.
clap.gif
I just did not have any Jersey Giants or Indian Game birds - what other kind may I need.
love.gif

Hi!
This is my first day and first post. First 6 chicks I've had for 7 days
in a big rubbermaid tub. What is the sand for ? And do you know what grit is ? Someone said they gave it to there chicks after eating grass outside.

Here's our bigger and better brooder we just built! We have 19 silver spangled hamburgs and one surprise that I think is a Lakenvelder
21925_chickens_007.jpg

It is made from scrap wood from my friend's farm and an old tarp we had. The tarp is the bottom of the brooder instead of a wooden floor for a lighter weight, and it's much easier to clean. Also the sides of the tarp come up pretty high and it keeps any stray wind drafts from coming in between the boards.

Here's my little puppy wondering "what ARE those things?!"
21925_chickens_008.jpg

Usually they're a lot more spread out than what the picture shows!
smile.png

Frances

Quote:
First off, if your chicks are only 7 days old, I would not give grit, keep them on a medicated chick starter for awhile. My older chickens have free choice grit and oyster shells, which are kept in a separate feeder, but not my babies. As for sand, I have no clue, unless the person uses it like grit.

this is our outdoor brooder that we use mostly for moms but also bought chicks, a screen seperates it from one of the main coops so the babes can sortta get used to bigger chicks

14128_new_editions.jpg

this is this years brooder Smaller than last years

14128_p1080659.jpg

this is half of last years brooder it was real long

14128_p1050875a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom