BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Pics
Countrybum, re your question about what grit is--it is small gravel, etc, that chickens swallow and goes to their gizzard to grind up things they ate--they have no teeth to chew with. Free ranging chickens--and back in the old days--they picked this up off the ground, but with them in coops, brooders, etc, you have to provide it for them. It isn't expensive, and can be bought in a farm supply store, usually. There are at least 2 sizes--small, which is like coarse sand, and is for smaller chicks, and larger, for adult chickens. Like the above poster said, I would stick with chick starter till they are bigger. Not really good for them to give them all sorts of "treats" while really young--they need the nourishment provided by the chick starter. Just my opinion. Good Luck.

I will be getting my first chicks Thursday but I was wondering when you start to give grit,how much do you give?I will have 25.And I have read that it's not good to "baby" them but to let them outside within a couple of weeks for a while during the day.Some say at 1-2 weeks old. How many agree with this?
Oh one more thing...Is 25 a large number to start with?

Quote:
You don't need to give grit until you start giving treats. The chick starter has everything needed in it. Some may disagree, but I wouldn't be in any hurry to give "treats". They need to fill up on the nourishing chick starter. Giving chicks treats is sorta like giving your young children candy, cookies, coke and ice cream, etc. They love you for it, but is it good for them to fill up on that rather than something nutritous?
As far as the "babying" them, when chicks are hatched by the mother hen, they can run around in cool or cold weather some, then run under Mom to warm up. But in the wild, hens don't hatch chicks in winter. With babies in a brooder with no mama hen, they should have 95 degrees their first week, (provided by a light bulb, and before putting the chicks in the brooder, lay a thermometer under the light to make sure it gets to 95, but not a lot more. Use a smaller bulb for less heat, if it gets too hot.) And have the bulb at one end of your brooder so they can get away from the heat if needed. They will know, even at day one, how to get to their comfort zone. If they are all huddled under the light bulb, you need a little bigger bulb, and if all are as far away from the light as they can get, it is too large. They need 5 degrees less of heat each week, (but they can adjust this themselves by moving further away from the bulb) till the temp in the brooder is lowered to the lowest temp outside at night, if you are going to put them into an unheated coop outside. When they are 8 or so weeks old, they should be feathered out enough they won't need additional heat provided, especially if it is warm spring or summer.
25 if a fine number if you will have an outside coop and pen for them when they get bigger. The small numbers is just what most in the city get, because they have only a yard, so don't have room for a large chicken pen and coop. If you have the room, and want lots of eggs for your family, neighbors, or to sell, etc. the amount doesn't matter. Good Luck.

Last edited:
After my chicks are a few weeks old, I put a little slice of apple in with them to peck at. I have never had a problem. They have access to grit and oyster shells as soon as they are moved to the coop. I keep a separate container just for such.

Countrybum--I'm sorry, I see it wasn't you who asked what grit is--it was gamblergirl. hopefully she will be reading, also.

No problem, you had me confused for a minute. Okay to the point I had to go back and read what I wrote. That late night computer typing you never know.
caf.gif

Quote:
As my wife's call's it "The Peep" show. My 1 yr old Aussie mix stares at our new girls constantly. Part of the you'll be protector not preditor dog training.

Cinnamon-blondie_003.jpg

The girls in their "deluxe" bed ok bad pun but it is a Deluxe check box top
lau.gif
The Girls had a name change to Cinnamon and Blondie, grand daughters out voted me
cool.png
big_smile.png

Farmer MacK

Last edited:
Quote:
The chick starter should have eveything they need, at least from what my feed and grain store said. I use oyster shells for my old hens and figure they can scratch up their own grit somewhere on this farm LOL

Farmer Mack
cool.png
big_smile.png

Judy, Thank you for your reply.I understand that the grit it for when they get treats.I was asking how much you give them.A seperate bowl? And I am glad to hear that 25 isnt too many.I live on 60 acers,9 of wich are my the other 51 is my family so they will have LOTS of room!

I love this forum, loves of info and really cute pics!

Back
Top Bottom