BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

I had a big box set up like that and they used to roost in the exact same place!
smile.png

I have been thinking about hatching some quail and I was wondering if anyone has seen quail brooders posted on this topic. If so, could you tell me where abouts they are. Ie: page number, etc.

Itt would be a great help. I started going through all of the pages awhile ago and I only got to page 17 or so. lol

Thanks!

Cody!!

Quote:
You might try the quail section, scroll down on the index page and you'll see forums for several different sorts of birds.

I'll go check there real quick.

Cody!!

chicken_angler I raise button quail to sell in petshops etc i use a 100ltr plastic storage bin, i cut a sq out of the lid then made a clear perspex door, i used a ceramic light fitting (cause the plastic ones melt eventually & are a fire hazard). You dont have to use perspex for a window in another one i just used mesh tied on with plastic clips.
smile.png
I cover the bottom with wood shaving and when its time to clean it, all the chicks go in a cardboard box, the shavings go in the compost, i give it a quick rinse with the hose and refill with shavings & chicks again. Also due to its size its really handy to keep sick large chooks in.

Last edited:
a closer look at the top/inside (i sell these online in nz during the breeding season) the ceramic light fitting i got from our local electrical supply outlet but you can also get them from reptile shops i believe.
33086_picture_582.jpg

Last edited:
For the heat source i use regular large lightbulbs 100W but to regulate the heat and to be able to lower it once a week i sourced this handy item, its a dimmer switch, i plug the light cord into it then once a week lower the heat by turning down the dial, very very handy item....i can use it for one bulb and just keep lowering the temp to suit the age of the chick
33086_51881564_full.jpg

Then when i raise my chicken chicks after the first week in the smaller brooder i move them into this (is a handy storage bin thats served as a fishpond! a 21st party drinks holder etc etc)

33086_pic00372.jpg

33086_pic00374.jpg

Last edited:
I dont have a picture of my brooder but what I use is a kids plastic swimming pool, the round hard plastic ones from the dollar store or wal mart. Take 3 foot chicken wire or hardware cloth and make a cage the whole diameter of the bottom of the pool. Fill the pool with pine shavings. Next I use 1/4's ripped down the middle and build legs with cross bars to attach my light in the middle of the pool hanging down into it. I usually keep my chicks in the pool until they are big enough to fly up onto the light stand then they go outside. The best part about this brooder is all you have to do is dump the shavings and spray out with waterhose and your ready to go again!!

Back
Top Bottom