BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Quote:
Your outdoor brooder could also serve as a nice B'ham Roller pigeon coop.
thumbsup.gif

I have an old wood kitchen table I'm going to turn upside down and use as a frame for my brooder. Thank you everyone for the fabulous info! My chicks come next week and through your entries I realized that my little tote was going to be way too small fast with my order of 25 chicks.

Quote:
Yes, you're right. I put my 21 chicks in a big plastic tool box, about twice the size of my tote, and they outgrew it SO fast! When the pecking started, we suddenly had impromtu "brooders" made of cardboard boxes, totes, and whatever i could get my hands on all over the living room. We had to act fast!

Thanks for the great idea! We have the exact same kennel--never used! And it works perfectly. Looks like you have quite a layer of shavings also. I wondered if I have too much--at least an inch deep. But if you have to replace it every couple days, that seems like a lot of waste. Can I use DE with 3-day old chicks?

A question...the chicks like to pick at the tiny bits of shavings...will it hurt them? Thanks again!

Cheep...er..Cheap for me. Trying to talk your spouse into a new TV? ulterior motive? With built in heater!

start with one of these.

Used the TV protective plastic as an extra measure then put down machine washable shelf covering bought at Wal-Mart. $5

The heater and the peeps...

Another angle, thats a glass pie dish - nice and heavy, won't tip easily. Very little water until they're big enough.

What a great excuse for a TV
big_smile.png

smile.png

I haven't posted in a LONG while here, my original brooder featured MANY pages ago is still usable but I needed something to grow out some chickens in over the winter, that could not yet go into a coop... so here they are.. believe it or not there are 19 almost 3 week old chicks in here... it's approximately 45 square feet, and is basically HALF of my screened in back porch.. now with plastic walls
big_smile.png

100_3425.JPG

Back
Top Bottom