BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

our brooder, built by my husband : sides, bottom and back were pre-cut and pre-sanded plywood, bought at home depot. Sides = 24" x 24". Bottom panel and back panel = 24" x 48". To keep it light we used 3/8" for the bottom, and 11/32 for the sides and back. In keeping it light, we also only "framed" the front and back - woodglued/drilled/screwed sides, bottom and back to the two "frames" with 3/4" and 1 1/4" screws. the "frames" were 1" x 4" x 8"s cut to the legnths we needed (on the front bottom, we used a 1" x 6" x 8" for added height to keep litter in). The top we "framed with 1". Two "tops" or "lids", again, pre-cut/pre-sanded 11/32, 24" x 24" (cut (2) 8" pieces from the 1" for "handles" on the "lids" and, under lids are (2) 6" pieces cut from the 1" on each end to keep them from sliding off the top). Left 2" open on both corners in the back/top frame for electric cords. It's on casters, and lined with linoleum. Used 1/4" hardware cloth, stapled from the inside on the front "frame". We're using the Brinsea Ecoglow20 for warmth.

This is our brooder. It's a flight cage layed on it's back I used for my Suns till they got their bigger cage. We set it across a bath tub. lol Best place for them in this zoo.
love.gif
We have another brooder all ready if
idunno.gif
TS has Bantams Friday!! I really enjoy seeing all your pics!!

We went fairly simple. Plastic tub from Walmart, lamp from the local hardware store and feed dish and waterer from the feed store. All for about $35. We're new to chickens, but we wanted to keep the brooder fairly simple since they grow so fast!

Here is the brooder that I created from an old rat cage. (Yes, it was throughly cleaned).
I have also replaced the light with a ceramic bulb one. This is going to house 4 chicks for a few weeks
until they move into a larger dog kennel.

I put shower curtains around it to help keep dust out of my sewing stuff!

Just a big plastic tote - I cut most of the top out with a box cutter. Then I used screen door "fabric" (it's not wire) across the top and fit the lid back on. Works great. I keep the chicks in this for the first couple days. Then I move them out to the brooder pen in the chicken house. Since they're so tiny when they're in this brooder, I rarely put the screen and lid on it because they aren't old enough to jump/fly out yet.

Last edited:

2nd brooder. The first one was great for about one week, then it seemed a little small so we moved them into brooder # 2

I used a clear rubbermaid container as a tabletop brooder. Screwed hardware cloth on top and use a 100 watt reptile heat lamp for the bulb. Been working great can see the chicks up close while sitting at the table. Had a glass of wine there last night. I love seeing the babies so close!!!

Back
Top Bottom