Brooder to brooder move

lurae

Songster
7 Years
Jun 18, 2016
Stonyford, California
I have 10 chicks I hatched out, incubator to big bathtub for brooder. They are now big enough to move to the larger brooder outside but we have had extreme heat here in Northern California and I'm not sure if they will be able to handle the heat. My house thermostat is set at 90 degrees and their room has been more around 85 with a fan. I cannot get the outside brooder I built lower than 98 when the outside temp is 107. I've shaded it, throw water under it as it is raised above ground about 5 inches. Air circulation is good if I run a small fan in the enclosed area. it is 4'x8' and cut in half for totally enclosed with solid door and the other half hardware wire including the floor. Is 100 degrees too hot for them?

I should think for a few hours a day that most chickens should be okay. Some breeds do better than others and you didn't mention how old they were but assuming fully feathered at least. A cold dust bath might help or water bottles with ice-cold water in it. You might try freezing water in some milk jugs (leave cap off and an a inch or two of air), then could sit one or two in the brooder, then back in the freezer at night.

I should think for a few hours a day that most chickens should be okay. Some breeds do better than others and you didn't mention how old they were but assuming fully feathered at least. A cold dust bath might help or water bottles with ice-cold water in it. You might try freezing water in some milk jugs (leave cap off and an a inch or two of air), then could sit one or two in the brooder, then back in the freezer at night.
thank you for your input. Chicks are 3+ weeks old so wing feathers, and back feathers are coming in. Still downy heads and breasts. Today is 101 in the brooder, I have not moved them as yet and still vacillating.

Back
Top Bottom