Brooder too small ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mendogurl, Mar 30, 2009.

1. mendogurl

mendogurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Hi everyone,

I have my 8 chicks in an extra large dog carrier/brooder.
    They are starting to get pretty big, 2 weeks old.
    Is the brooder going to be big enough for them until it is time to move them into the coop?

[​IMG]

2. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    I'm not sure... but that kitty said she would look after them for ya!

You could always rig up the light in the coop for the chicks, thats what I do when they just get so big they can't stay in the "nursery" anymore.

Congratulations on the chicks!!

3. Spires6

Spires6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Ohio
    I used a dog crate at night for about 6 chicks until they were 2 mos old. In the day I put them outside in a large wire rabbit cage with a piece of tin roofing over it for shade and rain protection. It worked really well. I think you will probably be ok, but maybe come up with something larger to set them outside in during daytime.

4. Spires6

Spires6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Ohio
    By the way, the kitty is too cool!

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I just watched mine for pecking, pecking started need bigger brooder... I just built o 4x4 brooder attached to my coop. Only cost a couple bucks and took about 4 hours by myself.. My chicks have been in ther for four days(last night it got really cold here and had frost) went out at 6:30 this am and they were great.. Just keep a light on in case they need the heat...

6. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    I think that brooder should be sufficient if you can have them outside by say 4 weeks of age.

I used to brood indoors until they were feathered, then I would put them in a coop with a heat lamp they could go under if they got cold.

The key is timing it with the weather. I'm in Northern MN and we still have a foot of snow on the ground, and had subzero temps as recently as last week. [​IMG]

I figure any birds I get will be confined indoors for at least 6 weeks from today, assuming May is nice....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by