In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Piedmont Triad, NC
SO I have upgraded my brooder from this
51105_photo_1.jpg

to this
51105_bigbrooder.jpg

The 3 BRs and the 1 EE are just over a week old BUT I added 3 BOs today that are 2 days old! So far after a little pecking everyone seems to be getting along (although one BO chick is pecking some of the older birds...) I am assuming the larger space is good but how can I tell if the younger BOs are warm enough? I have caught them sleeping under the lights but not together or huddled up, does that mean they're cold or just like the heat?

Hello, for new chicks, you want your temps under the lamps to be around 90 degrees. You can lay a thermometer underneath it if you want to see the exact temp. As long as they have plenty of room to move away from the lamps if they are too hot, (and I can see it's very roomy in your brooder), all will be well.

Looks like you're doing a great job.
thumbsup.gif

Looks nice and has plenty of room so they can move away from the lamp when too warm. Can't really tell from the piture, but by about 3-4 weeks they'll be able to fly out, if there isn't a cover on the brooder.

Last edited:
Seriously? Fly out?! I have some left over garden fencing I could use to cover the top, should I put weights on it?

Do I need to put some sticks or something for roosting or wait until they are older......

I usually put in some 2x4 blocks for them to climb on, it not only gives them something to play and practice roosting on but gives you a flat level place for food and water.This will also help keep food and water a little cleaner.
I don't think your chicks are to young I've had chicks 24 hrs old that loved to play on the blocks

Last edited:
Wow, that is a very nice brooder! May I ask what it is made out of and how big it is?

I would also think that if your chicks are not all huddled up and just under the lamps you should be okay as far as temp goes. Do they dart around and play or are they always under the lamps?

Last edited:
The "brooder" is actually a fish hospital tank that is no longer used, its 5ft x 2.5ft x 3ft deep and is made of fiberglass. The older chicks dart around a lot and the new BOs are mobile but usually head back to the lights after 10 minutes or so. I took the older 4 out to play for 20 minutes and when I came back the BOs were sitting under the lamp quietly and then got up and moved around when I put the older birds back in. I have seen everyone eat and drink and all seems well, I just don't want to wake up to any casualties...

One of the new BOs
51105_chick.jpg

Everyone eating!
51105_feeding.jpg

We used some screen nailed to long boards that can be rolled back. You can see it in the back of this picture. I open it a couple of times a day and a bunch fly up on the edge. Now they have figured out how to get back in if they accidentally fly out. They love the opportunity to fly up and from edge to edge. Sometimes getting them back in is a challenge because they pop out as I am putting them in. I also use this time to give them some scratch and call to them.

90403_roost_5.jpg

I just used an old window screen and didn't weigh it down until I saw them fly up and hit it.

I too got my BO a week later than the others and she's caught up 2 months in. BOs are my biggest breed.

I made a 4 inch tall roost from scrap 2x4s and a 2x2 roost. I've since increased it to a flat 2x3 which will be the width of their adult roost. It's never too early to let them climb.

GL!

As we are building the coop, I do have some scrap 2x4s that I could nail together in a "T" shape for them to practice roosting.

Does anyone add "toys" or "obstacles" for chicks to play with?

Back
Top Bottom