Brooder water container?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by hellfire, Apr 1, 2018.

1. hellfire

hellfire Songster

Nov 5, 2013
    Plymouth Devon UK
    Much to my surprise my first goose hatch was 100% 5 out of 5. They have a dish of water just deep enough to submerge their heads. They are always walking in it and I'm having to refil ever hour or so and this is only day 2. What do you use? I have seen a milk bottle with a hole it but worry about sharp plastic or them getting in the hole or getting stuck? Thanks

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I use the milk jug with the hole cut out. Never had any issues with it, you just make sure you cut the hole large enough for them to easily get their heads in but not large enough for them to get their body into.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  3. SunshineMary

SunshineMary Chirping

Jun 11, 2016
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Here is a little video I made about making a homemade no-mess waterer for ducklings/goslings. Hope it’s helpful!

4. hellfire

hellfire Songster

Nov 5, 2013
    Plymouth Devon UK
    That's a brilliant idea thank yoy so very much! I've found a few Chinese takeaway tubs which are perfect!!! Have a large milk bottle hole cut too. Also put a old baking tray under the water area with the shavings on top so it's now easy to take out the wet patch regularly instead of soggy cardboard. I've used a massive sofa box as a brooder as always works well with chicks but excess water and cardboard don't mix!

Miss Lydia likes this.
  5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I use the 1 gallon waters, same as the chicks.

upload_2018-4-2_15-49-38.jpeg

hellfire likes this.
  6. Jamity46

Jamity46 Chirping

Mar 30, 2018
    Thank you!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: