Brooder Watering Help

Cluckstar

Chirping
May 27, 2020
Norfolk County, Ontario, Canada
UPDATE: Page 2

My chicks keeping filling their water with shavings. It's non-stop. I could change my chick's water every 10 minutes and still find copious amounts of shavings flung in each time. Anyone got some good tricks or hacks for preventing this? I want their water to be clean and fresh, but it's been hard as I work full-time. I wasn't expecting this to be such an issue.

Thanks,
Mary.

Last edited:

Cluckstar

Chirping
May 27, 2020
This is what I've got for a waterer. I have a 1 cup Mason Jar attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200611-233215_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200611-233215_Samsung Internet.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 22

Look at all them chickens

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2020
My chicks keeping filling their water with shavings. It's non-stop. I could change my chick's water every 10 minutes and still find copious amounts of shavings flung in each time. Anyone got some good tricks or hacks for preventing this? I want their water to be clean and fresh, but it's been hard as I work full-time. I wasn't expecting this to be such an issue.

Thanks,
Mary.
How old are they? I am no expert by any means, we have ours on a square block of wood to keep the little demons from just flinging it in there. I swear I water more pine shreds at first then birds. I did see a cool trick to put their food and water over a Cat litter box that is buried in the pine shreds a bit with a small little ramp and have a small chicken wire like the less than 1/2 inch on top so all the food will fall down and the pine will not be up there so their water is clean. Mine are 3 and 4 weeks old and so ready for that stage !

Cluckstar

Chirping
May 27, 2020
How old are they? I am no expert by any means, we have ours on a square block of wood to keep the little demons from just flinging it in there. I swear I water more pine shreds at first then birds. I did see a cool trick to put their food and water over a Cat litter box that is buried in the pine shreds a bit with a small little ramp and have a small chicken wire like the less than 1/2 inch on top so all the food will fall down and the pine will not be up there so their water is clean. Mine are 3 and 4 weeks old and so ready for that stage !
That sounds interesting. Mine are about 3 & 4 four weeks as well. They're messy little beasts aren't they?

Look at all them chickens

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2020
Yes they are!! We had one the other day that jumped inside the food dispenser and couldn’t get her big butt out. Now I keep a bowl over the opening. I found a pic of the dish holder. Hope it helps. Building ours tomorrow. They are scratching now so the block isn’t working.

Attachments

• 10390E28-6BA1-4428-AF2A-C1CC3F382846.jpeg
    10390E28-6BA1-4428-AF2A-C1CC3F382846.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 24

immortl

Hatching
Jun 11, 2020
I have a waterer similar to yours, but it has a plastic reservoir with a loop on it . I ran a stick across the top of my brooder and suspended the waterer from that, with with a string, the base at about chick back height. Took me about 3 weeks to figure that out and it made a tremendous difference. I was able to get away with changing water daily instead of every 15 minutes. Now they've been moved out to the coop (about 6 weeks old) and I do the same, suspending the waterer from a hook. (I subscribed to the idea of putting water and food in coop too, sun is up around 4:30am here in the summer and it's a few hours later before I'm up to let them out).

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom