1. kicknchicken

kicknchicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2014
    Not sure if this should be here or in the 'raising baby chicks' area but thought I would get some good answers here. I am looking at getting 50 chicks. From what I have read they need at least 1sq each. I am looking to build a brooder 4x12 to 4x16. I am trying to figure out how many lights I should get for a similar setup. Would starting with a condensed space and one light then opening up for a larger area and one light work? Or should I do one light on each end of the brooder to keep them warm?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Use two lights - another reason is that if one burns out in the middle of the night they won't die.

Also will prevent piling. With that many chicks two lights is needed IMO.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Here's a space chart for chicks, that I found somewhere on BYC:

up to 2 weeks: 0.5 sq ft per chick
    3 and 4 weeks: 1 sq ft per chick
    4 to 8 weeks: 2.5 sq ft per chick

I've only raised a few batches of chicks in a brooder, myself -- mostly I've used broodies and the chicks have grown up in the flock. But I wouldn't have them in any less sapce.I always feel that the heat source should be arranged so that they can get far away from it if they want. I always liked those old fashioned circular brooders with the heat in the middle and a big area around the hood, and the food and water out in the cooler area.

And, I think this thread and setup are just amazing, so I usually find I have to post this link when I post about brooders:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/735392/redneck-fungshui-brooding-17-degree-temperatures/0_20

In the "coops" tab in the brown strip at the top of the page, there is a section on brooders, in case you haven't seen it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by