Brooders/bedding For Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chickbird, Oct 30, 2011.

1. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    To Those Of You That Raise Quail.....what Do You Initially Place Your Newly Hatched Out Quail In And Maybe Some Pictures Of What You Are Using If Other Than Store Bought BROODERS . Do Most Of You Initially Use Paper Towel To Place Them On? At What Age Do You Place Them On Pine Shavings? IF THE NEWLY HATCHED OUT QUAIL ARE FAST, WHAT IS YOUR METHOD OF GETTING THEM FROM THE INCUBATOR INTO THE BROODER? NEW TO THIS AND HAVE MY FIRST EGGS IN THE INCUBATOR.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. Blob Chicken

Blob Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    I use dish towels for the first few days and then they're onto shavings.

Or if its a mama birds raising her chicks ,its shavings from day 1.

3. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Something like this could work, I think the lable said 74 quart.
    [​IMG]

I think the paper towels are a good idea for the first week or so, then switch to shavings.
    Or shelf liner over 1/4 HWC for the first week then strait on the wire and upto 1/2 inch HWC at 4-6 weeks (for coturnix).
    I think something new I'm going to try (probably not with quail) is making a small square (~18"wx10"d or so) HWC covered platform out of 2x4 (4"h) for the feed and water to set on.
    I think that will help keep the shavings out of the feed/water and vise versa.
    As far as moving them, they arn't very fast and that young they are clumsy, just pick them up and move them.

ETA after shellys post: My hovabator is the only incubator I've ever hatched in, that must be why I've never had problems with moving them. Even though mine is alot older model than the genesis.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Same here, I use dish towels for at least the first 4-5 days.

If you have an LG incubator you can take the windows out of the top and remove the chicks that way. If you take the top off the chicks can easily jump out over the sides and get away. If you are using a Hovabator Genesis you can just take the top off and grab them by the handfuls. I've had a few get out of the Hovabator but not many.

5. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Thanks For Both Replies, The Picture Of The Storage Container Is Really Helpful As Well As Info On Other. Thanks Alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by