Broodie

Daenisch Chick

Hatching
Apr 19, 2017
hmm.png
Hi I am a new chicken holder, and one of my girls is broody her first, and mine just started last fall I have 8 all together, and the seven are not to happy with Lotti. I need advise how to go through this with them all, I believe it will happen with some of my girls in the future I have to prepare myself. Thank you

Last edited:
Hi! I have a Chinese goose who has gone broody for the first time as well.. It's also my first time going through this! So I can't speak from experience but from what I've read, if the others are bothering her you might want to try and separate her from them. I believe you can move dry fouls nests even after they're broody. You can't with water foul. Hope that helps, and good luck with those chicks!

Last edited:
The best advice I can give it to block off where she is in the coop or move her. Make sure to give her enough space to walk around and have food and water. Make sure you also have extra bedding where you have the chickens laying after. I still had one hen get threw the board we put up to separate them however, we aren't sure how she got threw..

Talk about coming with a question...

Lets assume the broody one is inside the coop?

How is the nest? In a box? Safe? On the floor?

How long do you think she's been on the nest?
(best guess)

I would think it best to leave nest alone if possible but
to contain Lotti from the other hens for her own protection.

Simple wire? But she does need food, water and room to
move around.

But as always, best advice it to watch her and keep a good
eye on things. Including the other hens.

Anyway, welcome. And it sounds like you got here just in
time. Remember, keep your eye on things and ask questions
as you need. Or just keep us informed of the progress.

Spook

G’Day from down under Daenisch Chick
frow.gif
Welcome!

You have already received some great advice so I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom