Broodies are for the birds!

LOL. Depends on your set-up. If you aren't brooding any chicks, yes.

I have an australorp trying to be broody, but she keeps laying so I don't think her body is completely wired for the task. It does make for interesting behaviour, though. Sigh.

There was an interesting thread about how to break a broody the old timey way not too long ago. I tried it and it worked! Like a charm! Says hold em by their feet and duck em in a bucket of water a couple of times. Yeah, yeah, I know, some folks consider it cruel....I don't.
roll.png

well i dont like that they wont let me near the chicks. lol. i need to tame them..

and also they are mean to everyone, including other chicks that dont belong to them.

and mine sleep on the ground where its not safe. i'm like get in the tree like a normal chicken before you all get eaten!

Quote:
I am beginning to feel the same way. They have been so good to me, but i just had 4 silkies go broody at the same time
roll.png
If i had some welsummer eggs to hatch it would be great. I think silkies spend 364 days a year broody
barnie.gif

Quote:
Too late. I saw it. Will that work? I won't do it tonight, but I'm more than happy to do it in the morning! When I moved ours out of the box, and hid the box, she returned to the corner where the box was and parked her fluffed up self. OMG she's ornry at the moment!

I totally agree with you on that. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about: heat lamps, cleaning the brooding boxes, changing the litter, filling feeders and waterers, worring about the temp at night, not to mention running the bator. It really has its pros and cons.

My egg production is going down due to broodies. After my last hatch from broody hen I will be snatching the babies as they hatch. Because we lost our last ones because of what Beefy was talking about. I will be peck in the beginning then to lost babies again.

There is nothing sweeter than to watch a hen and her babies but the heartache of them disappearing.

I now have 11 broodies!!!!!

jackie

Back
Top Bottom