Broodies on eggs? Broodies with babies? Post here.

i put my money on a broody everytime
big_smile.png

I've got a question - My broody is on 12 eggs and on day 8 - This morning when I went to check on her/them I noticed one of the eggs is cracked - maybe she stepped on it? I have not candled the eggs and she is still sitting tight should I leave the cracked egg there? Does momma know best?
hu.gif

I am now up to 6 broodies. The frizzles are co-nesting (sort of). I hope the two that started later will be content when the eggs hatch before three weeks for them. They went broody about 5 days later than the first one.

What if some eggs are further along in development? Today, I quickly candled the EE I put under my broody a week ago - all appear fertile however some of the eggs look much further along in development. Some look like 8-9 day eggs while others look like 12-13 day eggs. Also, there was one I think she cracked that is developing nicely - do I leave it?

Hi all. I just got my 6 BLRW eggs this morning. I am putting them under my 1st time broody silky today. Right now I am letting them settle and warm up a bit. I have read this thread up to page 31 and still slightly confused what to do first. She is sitting on a golf ball, tightly only getting up to eat and drink and poop. Now do I need to wait till dark to give her the eggs and remove the golf ball or can I do it anytime? She is secluded from the other hens in the coop, and should I fix her nest to accommodate the 6 eggs or just kinda put them in the existing nest and let her make it to her satisfaction?

I just had THE worst experience with a broody hatching eggs. They were eating them as they hatched (mother hen included)
sad.png
I happened to save one before she got a chance to eat it. It's now in the incubator and now sure if it's going to make it. I also took the remaining two eggs away from her. I sure hope you all have better luck then I have. I was SO wanting to see the mother raise her babies too
sad.png
So sad!

Back
Top Bottom