broodiest breed

Check out the thread in the hatching section. Gives a good list and the broodiness. Generally, I hear about the silkies as top notch broodies, just no experience of my own.

Any type of game breed or bantam are good for brooding. Most people prefer Silkies as they are great setters and mothers. I personaly like game breeds for hatching eggs, because they are super mothers, and can handle a lot more chicks than a silkie can. (Silkies are bantams so they cant cover as many eggs or chicks as a full sized chicken can)

SIlkies!!
D.gif

Oh silkies for sure! Not only do they good broody A LOT, they make fantastic mothers and are dedicated to what they do. I have a hatchery quality silkie who insisted on going broody four times this year, and there was no breaking her, so finally I gave in and the last time she went broody I gave her show quality silkie eggs. She's a fantastic mother, and hasn't lost a single chick, even now that I've let them start free ranging with the flock. She also hatched every single egg and didn't lose one, except one that wasn't fertile to begin with.

I have four silkie hens; two of them are regularly broody, one of the is seeminly nearly always broody and the fouth is unusual for a silkie as she doesn't seem to get broody at all. Anyway, for the first time I've finally given in to the hens' (and my children's wishes) and purchased them some fertile eggs. One hen is now doting on three 4-day-old silkie chicks. She was a good broody. She would get up once a day, every day, eat, drink, poop and make a whole lot of noise, and then back to the nest within about five minutes. Anyway, the hen who is always broody is currently on eight eggs. She had been broody for a week when I purchased her some fertile eggs and moved her into a separate nesting area. Prior to this she would get up once a day for the eating drinking routine then back to the nest. Since I've moved her though, she has completey stepped her broodiness up a gear! She is steadfast on her nest! After about four days of her in her new nesting area and her not leaving the nest for food, I've had to place food and water within reach of her. She barely touches the food. And she is completely 'in the zone'. Whereas the first silkie would fluff herself up and peck at me if I tried to go near her eggs, it takes quite an effort to break broody #2's focus. She's been nesting now for 8 days, she left the nest very briefly to do one very large, pretty runny poop (which tells me she is at least drinking, hopefully). I had wondered if she was sick, but when I do manage to break her focus she seems fine, I think she is just incredibly determined to have some babies! it's fascinating. i hope she hatches some chicks. But in answer to your question, I think silkies are absolutely a reliable breed for broodiness.

Back
Top Bottom